Occasional Strange noise coming from PC.

emsley

It has to be one of the fans right? It sounds like one of them is getting poorly it started about a week ago.

It could be the graphics card, Power pack or processor right?

Advice please.

the only thing that can make noise are the fans. or the dvd drive. those are the only moving parts in the whole damn thing.

take of the side of the case and get down there and listen.

You should be praying it's not the fan on your CPU/GPU, because as soon as it dies its going to go kaboom, and your CPU/GPU is probably more expensive than a hard drive. Don't waste any time figuring out what fan it is or it could become very expensive very quickly.

It might not be a dying fan but just one that just needs to be cleaned/lubricated as well. Either way if it isn't spinning right it isn't cooling right.

There's so many fans on mine it's stupid. Two case fans, a fan on each graphics card, a fan on the motherboard's northbridge, then an exhaust fan for the liquid cpu cooler. If you've got as many as that you'll find it hard to hear which one's making the wierd noise. So many different whirs and buzzes all sounding at the same time. Annoys the hell out of me. Why can't we just have heat sinks that work really well? A truely silent pc. That would be awesome.

You can you just did it wrong :P You can get 120mm fans that are damn near silent nowadays. Also set up your fans to run at a low RPM at idle and ramp up with heat, then it will only be loud when your gaming or something and you probably have sound playing over it anyway. If your NB really needs a fan and your can't get a decent passive cooler (check out Thermalright) you could always add it to your loop. Are you only WCing the CPU? Aftermarket coolers for video cards are often very quiet as well because they usually involve strapping 120mm fans to them. You probably do not want to add the video cards to your loop because it would be very expensive and make your cooling much less effective. I have seen people set up two separate loops in their case but I've never tried this and it sounds even more expensive.

It's a self contained liquid cooler for just the cpu, not a loop I can add anything to. I had the pc built by Cyberpower last year, and I did complain about the noise, but coz it's overclocked I was told that it needs good active cooling or else it'll burn up. I've already got all the fans set as low as I dare put them. The noisiest of them is the northbridge fan, it's a really little one, 40mm or something, and even at it's lowest speed it makes a racket. But it's part of the evga motherboard. I can't replace it coz of the way it's made. It's got a funny diagonal housing that clips on over the northbridge. There seems to be no easy way to mount anything else over it instead, no screw holes or anything handy like that. I could easily just remove it, but I've been told that's a very bad idea coz that particular board runs extremely hot. Great overclocking speeds apparantly, but lots of heat.

To make things quiet in there I'd have to seriously rethink things, and spend money I don't have on different components. Quieter 120mm fans is easy. I'll do that one day. As for the graphics cards, I might wait and upgrade to a better single card with passive cooling. As it is, there's no room to add aftermarket coolers to the two of them, there's a soundcard in the way of one, and a modem in the way of the other. Having two for SLI doubles the heat so getting a single would help and there'd be room them for a good passive cooler. I've seen fanless graphics cards, but they are few and far between. For the northbridge, unless I get help I don't see myself mounting any other cooler on it. It may well need to be a new motherboard. There are ones by ASUS these days that are completely passively cooled, covered in heat sinks. We'll see. It's all money, and money I don't have right now.

Yeah pc stuff can be expensive :/ at least once you buy it if you buy smart it will last you awhile. For your NB what mobo do you have? If i see some pictures I might be able to figure something out. If the NB has fins you can expose by unclipping the fan I have an idea! I made a build awhile back for a friend with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo in it. Here is a picture so maybe you can tell if it will work for you:

gb3.jpg

Anyway that gold heatsink that says Gigabyte on it is obviously for the NB, I bought a small 40mm fan that was a scythe I believe and it was very quite (at least quiet enough to not hear it outside the case) and I was able to just stick it on top of the NB heatsink and just screw into the fins, In the pic you can see those two lines going down it where where is a small gap, that's where the screws went in. I have seen it done on mobos without the gap though and it just stretches the fins a little but doesn't ruin anything. If that doesn't work I would try and get the fan out of the clip if possible and if that still doesn't work you could always try one of these. I heard they work very well for various purposes like this and cooling video cards.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Ant...ool/index.shtml

Basically you plug it in and bend it to be on top of whatever you want to cool.

It's the EVGA nforce 780i SLI board. It's been a while since I've looked inside my pc, and seeing this pic I've remembered what the problem really is:

780i_mid.jpg

The fan clips on to the heatsink, which is a big diagonal chunck of metal over the northbridge. The fan clips on and off easy, but when you take it off you've still got a heatsink over the northbridge, which is in the way of fitting a normal replacement fan. I can't take the heatsink off coz it stretches over the whole board, and of course is probably the only thing really that stops it from setting on fire.

780i_right.jpg

Looking at the heatsink from the back I think it really is one that's designed to have air blown through it. So it needs a fan, and replacing it would require some creativity. Like maybe putting a quieter fan into the special plastic housing of the stock one. Like, some kind of fan surgery. I don't know.