low res for xbox emulators....

XtecuterX73

Was reading through this thread over at x-s scene and even though short, seems like there might be a small way to conceivable have better resolution on xbox emulators, making the classics that much better.

If anyone is interested give it a read and let me know what you think, now i'm not saavy or what not but from reading that xdk could possibly have the options to implement like a 240p mode. God that would be friggin sweet and no more vaseline-o-vision. LIke i said i don't claim to be all saavy about this stuff, but you know when there is a will...... Im very interested in this.

here is the link: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=662368

HF-

If you're anal enough to want this, you should own the real thing. I think the games look better scaled and filtered, by far.

lmao, i do own the real thing, 26 diferent systems and hundreds of games as a matter of fact, just sometimes the blur-vision is annoying on bigger tv's and widescreens especially. I don't feel like lugging around 100 pounds of systems of games and cords and controllers when i go out of town or what-not. That's the best thing about having my xbox, i have 2 huge bins full of nothing but cords and controllers. :D

ive messed around with filters but can't find anything worthwhile, mednafen-xnes in particular, what settings do you guys use to be asking, i've been using simple 2x, with flicker filter of 1 or 0 and point filtering.

Anyways i figured it would be a good read for the people who are interested in it. I'm not too anal just sometimes it's annoying as hell.

HF-

If you're anal enough to want this, you should own the real thing. I think the games look better scaled and filtered, by far.

lmao, i do own the real thing, 26 diferent systems and hundreds of games as a matter of fact, just sometimes the blur-vision is annoying on bigger tv's and widescreens especially. I don't feel like lugging around 100 pounds of systems of games and cords and controllers when i go out of town or what-not. That's the best thing about having my xbox, i have 2 huge bins full of nothing but cords and controllers. :thumbsup1:

ive messed around with filters but can't find anything worthwhile, mednafen-xnes in particular, what settings do you guys use to be asking, i've been using simple 2x, with flicker filter of 1 or 0 and point filtering.

Anyways i figured it would be a good read for the people who are interested in it. I'm not too anal just sometimes it's annoying as hell.

HF-

I always over do the NES filtering...i go advancemame 2x, flicker filter to 0. Sometimes i'll use the 10x11 pixel size. I stay away from Widescreen resolutions.

what's the diff between advancemame 2x and simple 2x anyways? Ive read up and some emulators have like a simple 3x and 4x. Howcome the xbox doesn't have that, and what's the diff, lmao. Yea there's so many and i t seems like most don't do any good.

Im still messing around with the scanlines filters but i don't like them. You have use flicker filter above 1 which really blurs everything.

HF-

Where does this so called fact come from that these older systems output 240p, anyway? Televisions were never capable of outputting in progressive back then.

I've read lots of technical blabber about this, but they do not output 240p to the display device, even if internally they may generate that signal to start with. You have never seen these systems in their real hardware form, in 240p unless you're tapping the video signal internally thus modifying the system.

i'm speaking more of the lines of having a better resolution on the xbox especially for old school gaming, while some progress has been made making things a little better visually, i'm just stating that the possibility is there to do this.

I've tested many games side by side with my xbox compared to the real nes and there is a viable difference between the 2. I know it will never be exactly like the real thing, but on some tv's it's straight up vasoline vision no matter what filtering you use. A lot of folks were happy with the old palette for mednafenx-nes, that is until i collectively stood up and called it out and with the help of another member on xbox-scene a fix was made to correct it, now we have the most accurate one and there is a diff between the old pallette and the new one.

I know there are scan converters and the like but whenever there is a possibility i'd like to think that there's a chance we could have our emulators playing with a nice resolution. The difference would be miles ahead of the current video output.

Beside isn't that what makes emulation so great, wanting to push that envelope just a little further and further. Hell i guess i am anal when it comes to this stuff. lmao

:P

HF-

Edited by XxHellsFuryxX

I also dont like games being stretched into widescreen. looks nasty.

What does this have to do with anything? No emulator I use on Xbox stretches widescreen unless you set it to do so.

So if "you set it to do so" it does stretch it then ! Lots of emulators are capable of this !

And my point was ... theres no need for this option in any emulator ! Its a modern obsession with squashed video, whether it be games or TV broadcasts. Seems like people believe their getting more cause its full screen. Although the topic was about native resoloutions or lack of it, i thought widescreen resoloutions were indeed display resoloutions. Therefore they have something to do with the topic. One only has to read back to see what you think of other peoples opinions. We had a word at school for people like that. My father always used to say " if you havent anything nice to say then perhaps you shouldnt say anything at all"

Edited by cba.gy