Phone tethering

Gryph

You an always try getting a Smartphone/Pocket PC phone with a data plan. All the phone needs is Wi-fi and you can easily install an app on the phone to make it broadcast a wireless signal, so you can connect to the Internet with a laptop. It's probably much cheaper than one of those laptop cards. I've never tried it, but I've heard from friends that the method works quite well. :P

Does anyone here have a data plan and use their phone as a mobile modem? How are EDGE speeds?

11 days late but....

If you have a PDA Style cell (Windows Mobile 5,6,6.1,6.2) you could "add" a program to use it as a wireless modem for free. It will use your wireless CDMA/1X/EVDO Connection to connect. As long as you had an unlimited data plan on your cell you'd be fine.

Unlimted Plan with Tethering = $7 a month OR Pay the Phone company's plan to use your cell as a modem and it adds about $70 a month on top of your regular bill.

I doubt I can post the name of the program to add but if you pm me I can point you to it.

I'll be getting an iphone 3g on ATT so I'm going to have to jailbreak it. But my enthusiasm for tethering has lessed significantly since I don't think I'll get reception where I sit in the lecture hall. You have to sit near the door to get any. Dammit.

Ya I forgot that you need a signal on the cell to tether. If you can get about 20-30% signal strength it will run like a dial up modem. The iphone has tons of hacks for it already so I'm guessing free tethering is one of them.