My new rig! How well willl it cope with current crop of games?

emsley

I got the most power for my money.. Here are the Guts..

Gamers Athlon Dual Core 8800 (AMD Dual Core X2 6400 - 3.2Ghz L2 2048k cache, 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 - 2 x 1GB, 160GB SATA Hard Drive, , Impress Case , Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade, 384Mb 8800Gs PCI express slimline, AM2 - MSI K9N-Neo-F DDR800x4 non intergrated, DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, Integrated Sound Card, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (OEM), No Additional Software, , Free Carriage, 13 Month Warranty)

:) I'm almost back.. Then i have to get a phone line to my cruddy flat.

If it's not bloated with preinstalled crap, background programs eating stuff up and constantly accessing the hard drive, like most peoples computers......GREAT.

I have lesser specs than that and run games at higher settings than most with "better" hardware than me.

Just remember to not go with the uninformed norm of "higher resolution with medium detail" settings so many dumbasses stick to. You crank the detail level, and then the resolution from there. No sense running something like 1600x1200 with halved textures, the game will look WORSE than a lower resolution with full resolution textures, proven fact.

As long as I can play Freecell I'm happy :)

Sounds pretty good, though I'm no expert. For me, too many of these newer games are marketed towards a minority of folks. Overclocked quad cores with 3 gigs of PC3-15000 RAM and dual 9600GTs etc etc

Hey cinder.

It's good to know my machine will be pumping enough power, I cant wait to get playing stalker again.

I really need to read up on PC-games I have been out of the loop for the past year.

Friday should be the day :)