Question for those from non-english speaking countries

Robert

I'm curious to know, when you hear American/British/Australian songs on the radio, are they rerecorded in your native language? Or are they sung in English by the original artists?

Same question for TV shows, are they redone with actors that speak your language? Or do they have subtitles? Or do you get them in English?

What about at the movies?

Everything is as it should be, i.e. all content on the radio, TV and movies is in its respective language. Some shows for kids and toddlers are the only exception, naturally. I'm moving out of Finland if we ever start doing what the Germans do. Seriously, flock that.

And what are the Germans doing?

They're known for being notorious about dubbing everything in great detail (adding their own cultural references, etc).

From what I've seen on the local access mexican channels, they do that in Mexico too.

Songs are kept the same, even sometimes brought with the music video on tv. Ive never listned to the radio while i was thier so i cant say.

Some of the shows try to get mocked in arabic and some are just directly broadcasted. I think the "kids say the darnest things" for bill cosby got turned to an arabic show. Thats the only one i can think of right now. Cartoons on the other hand, usually anime, are translated. Some american cartoons also get translated like timon and pumba and popeye also get translated.

I'm curious to know, when you hear American/British/Australian songs on the radio, are they rerecorded in your native language? Or are they sung in English by the original artists?

Same question for TV shows, are they redone with actors that speak your language? Or do they have subtitles? Or do you get them in English?

What about at the movies?

Songs are original

TV shows are all in german

movies and series like the Simpsons are all in german

Aktually we have a TV show that plays live in the Australian jungle . If we have here 22.15 then its 7.15 in Australian.

In the Netherlands all movies and TV Series are subtitled.

In Romania

Music is all as it should be.

TV shows and movies are subbed. Poorly.

Cartoons on Cartoon Network and Fox Kids(now Jetix) were originally left in english but now are being dubbed. A petition has been signed by more than 20.000 people to revert it back to English. My obscenely high level of english is solely thanks to Cartoon Network, nothing else. So far, no progress with the petition. The dubs are horrible, absolutely horrible... So much that they make Cartoon Network unbearable. However, we recently finally got an anime channel and it takes a very serious stance against dubbing. So we get japanese with romanian subs :).

Oh, and thanks for the link EM. Avril is freakin awesome when she sings the Mandarin version, but the Japanese version wasn't as good because I'm a pretentious pronunciation Nazi and she wasn't doing it that right. The Mandarin one was better pronounced.