Can installing the december 2007 dashboard update harm a modified 360?

SF2MJ

It won't harm it- the worst that could happen is the console being banned from Live.

My understanding however is that Microsoft cannot detect modified units. The only way they can tell your machine is modded is if you try to play or update a burnt game online. Otherwise you should be safe.

Just use a real disc when you plan to go online.

there aren't any problems with the new update. and on a side note I haven't heard any body claiming to be banned since that one day a week or so ago. I've been online with backups and haven't changed my activities since the bans. the main thing is to be as sure as possible your backups are good. and pass all the xdvdmulleter tests before you ever put the disc in your box.

What happens if by some chance your modified 360 gets detected as having a burnt game in it on xbox live?.

I know they said they ban you.But why is there warnings about playing burnt games on live?.Can Microsoft corrupt your modded firmware online if they know it's been modded?.I am a little confused about this issue.What's the worst thing that can happen?.

And what are the benefits of the latest update?.Anything worthwhile?.

Edited by SF2MJ

The worst that could happen is your console's ID being banned from Live forever. It won't corrupt your firmware or anything else- your machine will still work.

The big draw of the latest update is DivX / Xvid support. Now you don't need to convert to WMV or set up any of those media sharing things like TVversity if you want to play downloaded movies / TV shows.

The worst that could happen is your console's ID being banned from Live forever. It won't corrupt your firmware or anything else- your machine will still work.

The big draw of the latest update is DivX / Xvid support. Now you don't need to convert to WMV or set up any of those media sharing things like TVversity if you want to play downloaded movies / TV shows.

That, and you can play those files from CD/DVD.