EA Buys Bioware/Pandemic

Gryph

I thought steam was free and they charge for the content that they provide on it

Yeah...how else would it work?

I misread that... I'm guessing you meant that Valve pays whoever made steam to publish their content on their service

you do realize that Valve developed Steam, right?

What? Do you take me as an idiot? Of course I know Valve developed Steam. If there is one gaming company who I follow religiously it is Valve. I've been using Steam since it was in beta and I am the administrator of one of the largest private Steam community groups (we are one of the reasons where there is no cap on private groups anymore).

Companies have to pay Valve a fee, almost as much a regular publisher would take from sales, to publish their stuff on Steam, unless the game uses the Source engine from which I understand the fee is waived. But at least it cuts out the retail segment so that money isn't taken away.

What? Do you take me as an idiot? Of course I know Valve developed Steam. If there is one gaming company who I follow religiously it is Valve. I've been using Steam since it was in beta and I am the administrator of one of the largest private Steam community groups (we are one of the reasons where there is no cap on private groups anymore).

Companies have to pay Valve a fee, almost as much a regular publisher would take from sales, to publish their stuff on Steam, unless the game uses the Source engine from which I understand the fee is waived. But at least it cuts out the retail segment so that money isn't taken away.

I don't take you for an idiot. I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by "Valve charges a good sum (about as much as a publisher) to use Steam."

could you clarify a bit?

I did in the second paragraph of the post above.

I should have quoted Delvia since I wrote the post and left out the identifier hoping that people would pick up on it automatically.

Valve charges other companies a fee for putting their games on Steam. That fee can be about as much as a regular publisher would take from retail sales.