Final Fantasy VII Remake Chatter

Devia Eleven

What?!? How can you don't like FFIX??

- engaging storyline (much much better than FFVIII for sure,

comparable to FFVII IMO, no idea compared to older series)

- more interesting character design

- job class specific to characters are great

- Chocobo Hot and Cold is by far the best mini-game.

- i like the subquests better.

Of course, we can't compare to the FF series starting from X since they boast full voice acting and better graphic, lengthier gameplay etc.

I'm going to say not liking IX is a taste thing, but just on those points;

-Better story than FFVIII? Are you mad? That story had conflict, emotion... a complex non-linear drama. IX was just your standard rag-tag bunch of miscreants averting the end of the world with some occasional character development and backstory thrown in randomly.

-More interesting character design? They were all a bunch of cliches. Admittedly that was because the game was an intentional throwback to the FF series of old, but still.

-Limiting characters to certain roles I thought was a bad idea. It frustrated the hell out of me after the seemingly endless combinations of characters you could use and set up in VII and VIII. Again I know it is a throwback to the old job system but I think it was a little outdated mechanic by the time of IX.

-Chocobo games.. I can't argue. I never played any of them, except the whole racing thing in VII. That was cool.

-Subquests again I thought were much stronger in VII and VIII. Remember the insane fights against Emerald and Ruby, or Ultima at the bottom of that hellish research facility? Or busting out materia combinations that cast Knights of the Round again and again, or hero-ing up chain Lionhearts for 99,999+ damage each? When it comes to IX I just remember a hippie-coloured ball in the sky and weak trance moves. And wtf was with Necron??

I suppose if I cared about the series before VIII I would have taken more to IX. I just typically hate Japanese RPGs in general, and particularly enjoyed the wayward direction taken in VII and VIII (although I played VIII first). It had an engaging story, likable characters and a stylish battle system revolving around summoned monsters; my favourite part of the series. Compared to that, IX seemed formulaic and flat on every level. I just couldn't get into it - it is also the only FF that I've played to the end, but not bothered getting all the secret stuff afterward. I just wanted to be done with it.

This was a long time ago so I can't remember if this is just melodramatic or not, but I think FFIX might have been the game that put me off RPGs altogether for the longest time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic