NiFi and Ad-Hoc status

phhusson

Hi,

I would like to connect two DS without using an AP (that's what is called nifi ?), looking at the FAQ it's supposed to be soon supported ... since october 2005

Q: Will the DS Wifi support access points? ad hoc mode? Nifi?

A: The initial release is planned to support both access points and ad-hoc operation (there are a few small technical difficulties with ad-hoc at the moment, but those will likely be fixed before release). Nifi is merely a modification of 802.11, and a raw wireless interface will be provided for those who want to construct their own nifi packets (technically it will be possible to run regular 802.11 and nifi at the same time, but this isn't a wonderful idea) - To use Nifi though, you will have to understand 802.11 enough to create your own 802.11 packets and read and understand the incoming packets.

I don't know what are the obligations of a wireless protocol, but if they are simple (packets order & checksums) i can manage it, but all i found was only the low level access to the DS's wifi device, which i would prefer let to a library (in case the doc change i just will have to rebuild)

If Ad-Hoc mode could be managed as easily as connecting to an AP it would be far easier to code but well i can make things without it.

Maybe will i need to use something else than dswifi ? But i didn't find any

Thanks in advance for answering

• 1 year later...