WoW: Wrath of the Lich King

They haven't revealed anything yet, but it's been confirmed for the human races and it's most possibly a branch class of paladins. Since Araths was himself was a former paladin before becoming a death knight.

Hero Classes there for might be an extension to the regular classes.

I heard someone reading that the Death Knight will be an unlockable class you choose at character creation by completing a level 80 quest of similar difficulty to the Warlock's epic mount quest back before the Crusade. A created Death Knight will start at either level 55, 60, or 70, depending on the mood of the developers at the time of creation.

Pretty much what he said. I think its just another way for blizzard to put more "food on our plate" and keep us at the "dinner table". Don't get me wrong though, hero classes would be great.

There seems to be a lot of backlash for this Hero Class idea, and I don't get it.

Think of it this way. In Tekken 5, you finish the game with one fella, and you unlock a new one to play. Same thing in WoW- you get anyone upto 80 and you get a new class to use. I don't get what the big deal is. Just because it is a 'Hero Class' doesn't necessarily mean it will be stronger than the others- it just means that it is extra content they want you to complete the existing content for.

But really that is the way WoW has always been. I'm not allowed to see Outlands till I get someone to 58+, or use T6 armour before I am 70, or get a Dreadstead before I pay through the nose for a ridiculously long and painful quest.

It is really just a reward like any other- what is the point of getting the expansion if you weren't planning on getting to 80 anyway I figure. Hell, you won't be able to see most of what the xpack has to offer if you aren't already 70 or close to.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your point. It isn't like X class at 80 earns a Death Knight. You can get ANY class to 80 and complete the DK quest to be allowed to make one.