Loke Test Footage of Basara Cross

Wizard

Since I can't embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4TgsaQckU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHSLaNOwX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM23dHSTd44

Typical GG-like system. When the hell is Arc gonna NOT use the GG system for a fighting game.

Impressions;

First stop: gameplay

As somebody pointed out before, it’s a bit too early to pass any serious judgment about gameplay, because most players were quite noobish. I only got two see two supers and one “Basara KO” on the whole time I spent there, and since the queue was quite long I didn’t even bother to try to play myself. I might have better luck today, tough.

The general looking, as expected, is quite GG-ish, but it seemed not so chaotic to me. It’s fast, yeah, but not vertiginous. That’s a good point in my book, actually.

The presented game was only a beta with 4 selectable characters and a few stages: Yukimura, Masamune (not a surprise, huh), Keiji and Kenshin. What’s worse, all the fangirls there kept selecting Yukimura and Masamune all time, so there was little chance to see other guys in action. I’m not an expert in other Arc System games, but the kind of combos and specials reminded me of the few times I had played GG X. Hmm, that’s quite obvious, I guess.

However, Yukimura and Masamune didn’t feel just like the Sengoku versions of Sol and Ky, respectively; they had quite different movesets and stuff. Generally speaking, specials and supers were not as flashy as I expected, tough. A bit disappointing, yeah, but maybe other characters would have cooler, more spectacular specials. Or maybe it’s just that noobish players could only pull out low level specials. We’ll see today. Not that I’m going to be able to pull out decent combos or whatever, tough!

The engun system is still a mistery to me. Yukimura and Keiji had indeed two supporting characters (they were not present from the start, it seems you have to fill a gauge or something to make them show up), while Masamune had only Kojuro to lend him a hand. It seems the main usage for the engun is to power up your supers and make some special combos, but probably there will be more than that.

Nobody was able to make use of Yukimura’s second engun, tough. Sasuke popped up on the melee every once in a while, but nobody could make Shingen participate, even tough he was present at the background along Sasuke. I think that has to do with the “level” you earn for your engun during the battle: the more level you get, the more (or more powerful) stuff he can do; maybe Shingen is a high level engun and would only show up with really huge gauge levels. Or maybe it’s just he was not yet fully implemented in the beta. Oh, yeah, and Kojuro’s aid seemed quite cheap to perform juggles and the like. I can see people bitching about that when game finally comes out.

Second Stop: non-gameplay stuff

I am a fan of both GG’s and Campcom classic fighting game’s soundtracks, so I was eager to hear how the BGMs of this Basara turned out. Sadly, the music was not implemented on the loketest. That, or maybe the volume was just too low. A shame, in any case. But I must say the announcer’s voice was just awesome, and just got to hear that made up for the music letdown. I expected Japanese lines just as in Samurai Spirits and such, but instead he went all in English… and I think it was a perfect decision. Totally loved the way he screamed “here comes a new hero!!” all the time. He added SO MUCH thrill to the atmosphere… the figure of the announcer often gets overlooked in fighting games, but it’s really an important element to make you feel in the mood for slashing the living crap out of some random conglomerate of pixels. But I digress.

Maybe it was just me, but animations seemed smoother than HnK. Nothing SF3 level, sure, but quite nice anyway. Visually speaking, I found the game quite charming: spectacular (but not as dazzling as GG), great light effects, cool style... Also, the “anime look” suits the characters quite well, and looks great in motion. In-game artwork turned out better than I expected; I did not miss at all the old sumie style of the previous 3D installments’ illustrations.

Backgrounds were colorful and gorgeous IMHO, but a bit static. Save for the engun characters witnessing the battle, the stages lacked moving elements and such, and even the engun guys were not very lively, if you know what I mean. While that’s not an issue for me, somebody might miss the baroque style of other Arc System games. All in all, graphics looked really good, but probably using a HD monitor has much to do with that.

Oh, and I found ludicrously fun the fact that, when both players selected the same character, the 2p costume was chromatically almost identical to the “regular version”. So there you had your usual crimson-clad Yukimura going against a pale-red Yukimura. Maybe they were afraid of the fangirls crying “OUTRAGE!” if they dared to give Dokuganryuu a yellow haori, or something.

I thinks there is hoping for more characters (even if it's only the final boss and a pair of sub-bosses) on the final roster, because there was some space for additional cells on the character selection screen. No clues nor hints about who the final boss (if there is such a thing) could be, tough.

Third Stop: miscellaneous

Did I mention the fangirls? I knew Basara had a somewhat strong following among yaoi fandom, but I didn’t expect 90% of the people at the loketest were girls. No wonder they kept choosing Masamune and Yukimura on an endless loop. There was even that chick who fanatically jumped, applauded and screamed “kakkoii! Suteki!” whenever masamune apopeared on the screen. And it was every 5 seconds. And she even was accompanied by her boyfriend. I pity the poor guy.

Anyway, I think this might be a good thing to insert some much needed new, fresh blood into the arcade scene. Arcades need to get new public, outside the usual otaku niche, and probably Basara has something to say in this regard. Kinda remembered me the times when Capcom tried to attract schoolgirls to fighting games by creating Sakura… only that this time the trick seems to have *real* potential to success. Hooray.

Source: Madman's Cafe.

I would prefer a Street Fighter-ish game as well,but keep in mind that this game is catering to the "New School"of Japanese fighting games,that are alot more fast paced,and focused on chain comboing(Arcana Hearts,Guilty Gear,Hokuto No Ken,Melty Blood).

I don't like it that much either,especially with ArcSystWorks,and the arbitrarily difficult thing's that they add to their games that make it difficult for beginners,but as for right now these games are doing well,in a Japanese market that accepts them so I'm not expecting any new trend setting changes soon.

New info about the assist system from Madman's Cafe;

As some of us surmised, the Assist continually just levels up as time goes on, for a max of 100. When you think it's charged up enough (or you just want some help immediately), press the Engun button, and your dudes will come running out to the background, ready to assist you. Attack power, recovery speed and in some instances, who may be the one to actually help you (if you got two supports) all depend on the level you let the Engun get to.

During normal situations, pressing the Engun button will result in usual support attack. Pressing it at the same time while being damaged/thrown will result in support counter. Pressing it while doing a special/super will result in support assist to go along with that attack.

The Official Sengoku BASARA X Site has also been updated with new Engun system info.

Pretty cool.

An E-Mail ExcellentCom a peep from another forum I visit got

Dear Customers,

New game “Sengoku Basara X ”

Produced by Capcom

System 256

* Popular family computer game “Sengoku Basara” will be coming up for Arcade.

* It is 2D Action Fighting game.

* Programmed by Basara team and Guilty Gear team.

OP:USD3560 (Mother + Rom, I/O is not included)

Expected Release Date : Late December

Dead Line : August 3rd 12:00 p.m.

The important info is that release date.I was kind of expecting a late October to Mid November release date.