Billy Thorpe dead at 60

Robert

Source

For those who don't know, Billy Thorpe was an Australian rock star of the 1960's. Unlike most rock stars, he continued to perform, and also featured in high-profile advertisements. His biggest hit was "Most people I know think that I'm crazy".

AUSTRALIAN rock legend Billy Thorpe died in a Sydney hospital today after a heart attack. He was 60.

Emergency crews went to his home in Sydney just after midnight, when Thorpe began having chest pains.

He was taken by ambulance to St Vincent's Public Hospital, accompanied by his family.

He remained in emergency in a serious condition but went into cardiac arrest around 2.30am and hospital staff were unable to revive him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave a tribute for Billy below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thorpe was born in England but emigrated with his family to Brisbane in the 1950s.

He moved to Sydney in 1963 and recorded his first song the next year with his band Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs.

They went on to perform at sellout venues across Australia and had a string of hits in the 60s and 70s, including Some People I Know.

His music career spanned five decades and he also wrote two autobiographies.