VGA box on HDTV

I'm trying to get my DC onto my HD TV (through the PC in connection) by using a VGA BOX but I can't get it working. I bought a standard VGA cable to connect the box to my TV's port after I tried my existing PC monitor's cable to no avail. I believe that cable could be XVGA and that was the reason it didn't work, but upon trying the newly purchased VGA cable I got exactly the same result - A black screen (when the DC was running it had sound, through my 5.1 speakers, but no picture on screen). I tried running the game in 60HZ mode and then switching cables but that just gives a messed up screen image.

I tried the Dreamcast (and compatible VGA games) on my PC monitor and it works perfectly but as far as getting the DC onto my HD TV, is this even possible? (my HDTV displays my PC perfectly when I hook them up - it's just the VGA box that isn't working) My TV has a PC channel that stays blank when the VGA box is connected and the channel display 'no sync'.

Oh, and it's a PAL Dreamcast I am using, although I don't think this should be a problem as I have got it working on my PC monitor.

Do I need a SVGA cable or a special kind of cable?

Thank you.

Edited by hi_resurrection

Can I get the make and model of your TV please? If I can't help you, I'll point you in the direction where someone certainly can.

Oh and btw, there is no such thing as XVGA (XGA though). Simply a substandard of SVGA, which is what you need for Dreamcast. If your cable hooks up, you have what you need. A regular VGA cable has less pins than an SVGA cable. People call 15pin D-Subs "VGA" cables, but in reality *VGA* monitors use 9pin D-Sub.

If it works on your PC, I wouldn't blame the box. I'd blame an incompatibility with your TV, a bad SVGA cable (If you're using a different one than with your PC monitor) or you've not set something correctly.

Can I get the make and model of your TV please? If I can't help you, I'll point you in the direction where someone certainly can.

Oh and btw, there is no such thing as XVGA (XGA though). Simply a substandard of SVGA, which is what you need for Dreamcast. If your cable hooks up, you have what you need. A regular VGA cable has less pins than an SVGA cable. People call 15pin D-Subs "VGA" cables, but in reality *VGA* monitors use 9pin D-Sub.

If it works on your PC, I wouldn't blame the box. I'd blame an incompatibility with your TV, a bad SVGA cable (If you're using a different one than with your PC monitor) or you've not set something correctly.

Thank you for the reply. I did mean XGA even though I typed XVGA, sorry.

The TV is a Sony Bravia 50 inch rear projection 720p. Not entirely sure but I think model number is 50KDFE50A12U.

As well as the VGA box not working, the HDTV I have cannot display my PC in 640x480 yet is fine when displaying 800x600 and 1024x768. Is this the same problem? It's strange though as my Wii and PS2 component (480p) works OK.

Do you think that with a cable like this I would have success? This Product

Thanks.

Instant "TV's fault". The Dreamcast outputs 640x480 31khz RGB VGA, if your TV won't display this resolution with your PC, but it will display other resolutions, your TV is at fault.

Sony is teh suck dude, sorry to rain on your parade. My Acer AT3220A is more capable than your Bravia, and much less expensive too. Mind you I like the 50" and DLP is nice, but the backend support in Sony's TVs is ASS.

If you're looking for good support with all types of inputs, I'd suggest you sell that Bravia and go with something else.

Do you by chance own a PS3, and have issues with HD on your Bravia?

And no, unless your TV supports true RGB (Y, Pr, Pb) that cable is useless. Consumer "Component Video" is Y, Cr, Cb.

Instant "TV's fault". The Dreamcast outputs 640x480 31khz RGB VGA, if your TV won't display this resolution with your PC, but it will display other resolutions, your TV is at fault.

Sony is teh suck dude, sorry to rain on your parade. My Acer AT3220A is more capable than your Bravia, and much less expensive too. Mind you I like the 50" and DLP is nice, but the backend support in Sony's TVs is ASS.

If you're looking for good support with all types of inputs, I'd suggest you sell that Bravia and go with something else.

Do you by chance own a PS3, and have issues with HD on your Bravia?

And no, unless your TV supports true RGB (Y, Pr, Pb) that cable is useless. Consumer "Component Video" is Y, Cr, Cb.

I would never usually reply in this manner, but I'm fr!gg!n' sick of how every single user on a games forum responds to any question. I was just asking a simple question. I didn't expect abuse back. Even the slightest thing gets you losers riled up enough to start with your disgusting attitude.

Just your first 3 words made it clear that you were replying in a jealous, aggressive rant. "Instant 'TV's fault'" - could you not just say "the TV probably does not support that low resolution"? No, because you're not smart enough to hide your blatant jealousy.

"My Acer AT3220A is more capable than your Bravia" I think you mistyped something there. You wrote 'cabaple' but I think you meant to type 'embarrassing'.

Okay, so what if, before you bought that junk screen, you won a competition, and as a prize you could choose between a 32'' Acer and a 50'' Sony Bravia. Would you still prefer the 'Made in Taiwan' Acer? My @$s.

It isn't even a TV - it's a slightly bigger than usual desktop monitor and nothing more, so good luck trying to show a blu-ray movie to a roomful of friends, or have MAME Alpha/KOF running on a Megalo sized screen with that piffling thing.

As for Sony's support - 2 HDMI sockets, Y/Pb/Pr component socket (of course my TV supports it you moron, obviously yours doesn't), two scart sockets, composite in, s-video in, PC in, headphone socket, built in freeview, Yes of course Sony's "backend" support is poor.....Sony are rock solid and who the f+ck are Acer? A whiffy, pile of $h!t company that I've barely heard of and wouldn't go anywhere near. Sony didn't inlcude 640x480 through PC-in because it's a dead resoultion. Nothing goes that low anymore. You just F+ckin wish your TV couldn't handle Dreamcast - You'd give your 640 resolution and your right arm to have something that makes PS3, 360 and movies look as good as mine does.

One of the main reasons I wanted to put my DC on this TV is so I could also run the sound through my $600 THX certified 5.1 speakers (for quality, not surround, before you start) as my TV speakers are only half-decent, but I suppose your Acer has great speakers... (No TVs do, blockhead)

And sell it? I'd never sell something this good. Although I probably ought to, so I can get the same exact thing but the 1080p version and p/ss you off even more.

I don't understand your problem with me anyway - you do realise that there are other people in the world who have TVs like mine? And even better. Just stay away from Home Cinema forums, unless you want to feel very badly about yourself. They'd laugh in the face of your pathetic Acer. You remind of someone I used to know at primary school who actually argued that his standard light switch was superior to my parents' dimmer switch.

You're also probably one of these morons who keeps blanking Sony Corporation's Wikipedia page with "GO WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!". Sounds about right.

As for "Sony is teh suck dude" and "Backend support in Sony's TVs is ASS", why don't you learn to write proper English? Well, when you spend every walking hour on a forum, I suppose there's no need.

"Mind you I like the 50""

You have no idea how good 50 inch is - This was my face when I saw a 32'' on display in a window.

alecwoods.jpg

And please don't bother wasting more of your time replying as I won't bother to check if you've replied. I've had enough of losers like you. Good luck with your next 2300 posts, hope you become as pathetic as Agozer with his 15773.

Sounds like the rantings of an ignorant Sony fanboy, only one of those would fly off the handle like you have.

My TV also sports HDMI, 2 composite+S-Video, 2 YCrCb, VGA AND DVI-I (Dual link Digital and Analog support) with PC audio input. Your TV does NOT support YPrPb, it supports YCrCb. BIG Difference.

You go off on a tangent all you like, I was tring to offer my help and threw in a bit of sarcasm and goofy spelling. You're far too unintelligent and ignorant to waste my time with, as I thought I saw in many of your posts on this forum before. You're a waste of database space.

Oh and by the way, Sony's TVs DO suck flocking ass, as referenced by the huge ammount of compatibility problems users experience. And Acer is by no means an "unknown". By no means am I jealous, given my knowledge of Sony's poor track record and means of brainwashing the masses into thinking their hardware is "top of the line" (Go to any specialty store and ask for Sony, they'll laugh at you.........I just don't feel the need to pay what I'd pay for a new car, on a TV).

And YES, it is your flocking TVs fault. Care to explain the HOW and WHY of it not supporting 640x480 over VGA, yet it can display a 320x240 composite signal from an old SNES? You can say all you want about home cinema forums, but when you know jack sh!t about how your hardware even works, you're just talking out of your ass like every other little goof out there.

Go google some, and you'll find out just how many Bravia users are experiencing HDMI troubles with the PS3 for starters, not to mention all the other problems.

Grow the flock up.