random shutdowns.?

Renzor

I understand what you mean. What I'm saying is yes you can remove the processor and use it again if its compatible with the new mobo, but I believe you have to clean the heatsink off and replace it.

no thats not true that would be retarded

what kind of processor is it? ill try and find you a good mobo (I need to know type, socket type)

Specify what is retarded. If you mean replacing the heatsink, its a well thought out precaution and avoids certain risks.

my processor is a intel pentium 4 so i have to get a new motherboard and a new processor?

thanks for helping me out guys.

like take out the cpu cooling fan take off the little lever and remove the thermal grease of the processor and its as good as new?

but it has to be compatible with my new mobo

my processor is a intel pentium 4 so i have to get a new motherboard and a new processor?

thanks for helping me out guys.

like take out the cpu cooling fan take off the little lever and remove the thermal grease of the processor and its as good as new?

but it has to be compatible with my new mobo

Well, yes, but you need to replace the thermal grease. Without it the thing will overheat. So to do that basically you just have to remove the heatsink and work from there.

And yeah it has to be compatible with new mobo. Also make sure that the new mobo meets the requirements of your other parts such as the RAM and video card.

If the processor locked itself to the mobo it would be retarded

Yes you shoudl clean off the heatsync, and put new thermal grease on it though. you dont HAVE to replace it, but if you wanted to i guess you could. Im a cheapass so i like so save money and i wouldnt, just give it a good cleaning.

Make sure you buy the righht mobo though, not all Pentium 4s use the same socket.

can you show me a good mother board help me find one

We need to know the socket type of your current CPU ? Telling us its a P4 means nothing .

Sounds like it could be a LGA 775 though .

There are some good priced gigabyte boards around that should work with your CPU .

Anyway one known reason for random shut down is bad ram I would replace that before replaceing the mother board . other reasons are bad power supply and CPU over heating .

If your PC is shutting down ( Like if the power cord was pulled out ) Then there is a chance the power supply ( PSU ) is faulty or not strong enough to power the mother board .. There are known cheap PSU's that have incorrect watt rateing, it may say it has 500 watt but it is really a 300 .

If its not the PSU then you should check the ram then heatsink and fan on the CPU .

At last resort replace the mother board if all other options fail ( Even then some parts can be repaired on the MB ) .

im pretty shure its my ram because i have runs games that require 2.20ghz i have 3.20ghz, 512 MB of ram and my video card is compatible with that game and it still laggs .