General Emulation

Flash wise, the site is great. It didn't take very long to load, maybe 15-20 secs. But you have to take your users into account.

That's why I've decided to change the whole homepage, and go with something more standard. But I need some help with it, as me and php aren't exactly best friends.:roll1:

Keep up the great work!

Also, congratulations on the hosting of D.M.E.S., it should give you an extra boost of new people. :clapping:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That D.M.E.S. looks like a good idea provided you can get past the legal hurdles. The flash page took 45 seconds to load up, well, it's "flashy" but yeah it's got to go. Personally I prefer pages that load quickly and are strictly functional.

So, any hints on how I would use my news forum as a backend and have posts made in it appear on the home page?:clapping: I'm totally lost on how to do that, and since you guys do it here, I figured you could maybe point me in the right direction.:roll1:

Sorry for the bump, but wanted to mention that I had changed the homepage to a front end for the forums (much like what's done here). Anyways, it's still far from complete (needs logo and other content), but it's there. Anyways, opinions would be appreciated.:o

Sorry for the bump, but wanted to mention that I had changed the homepage to a front end for the forums (much like what's done here). Anyways, it's still far from complete (needs logo and other content), but it's there. Anyways, opinions would be appreciated.:blink:

Is it just me, or is the menu and logo not showing at the top of the site? :o

It shows a little more on the forum page, but still missing a few menu buttons at the top.

It shows a little more on the forum page, but still missing a few menu buttons at the top.

Hmmm, thanks, I'll look into that.:) What style was it on when you saw missing buttons?

And as for logo, that's being done atm.:blink: It's a very basic (and incomplete) frontend. Just put it up tonight.:ph34r:

Edited by General Plot

Hmmm, thanks, I'll look into that.:) What style was it on when you saw missing buttons?

And as for logo, that's being done atm.:blink: It's a very basic (and incomplete) frontend. Just put it up tonight.:ph34r:

Whatever the default style is, perhaps the ambience skin?

Well I had another look. The flash and all that stuff is gone and result was an instant page load. The news (mostly sourced from ngemu) is visible as well.

What's missing is all the pictures, buttons etc - all the standard graphical stuff. Smilies and avatars show though.

On the forum itself, all the pictures are there although the logo is the one that came with the forum software.

The skin is whatever one you get when you're not logged in. (purplish).

I noticed this too. It turns out the CMPS I was using from vbulletins is causing problems with my headers. So, I'm just going to write up a page by hand that does sql fetches. The frontend I had in there caused me more problems than it was worth, making use of custom styles impossible at the moment. So until I get the headers fixed and some other things, I've reverted back to the flash page on a temporary basis until I can get a complete working (and hopefully trouble-free) frontend up.

• 4 weeks later...