Free Memory

Shibathedog

Okay so i have an unmodded Xbox, and the useless MS Dash just says I have 50,000+ Blocks left, Is there any way i can calculate how many blocks are actually remaining?

I have 192083 Blocks used, And if i remember right, a Block is 16KB

Which means 3073328KB

Which is about 3001MB

So does that mean i have about 3 out of 8GB used? I have the 1.5 Xbox so is it 3 out of 10GB Used? But i remember the XBox only really used 8? and like only 5 was availible for saves or something like that?

So is it really 3 out of 5GB used? Leaving me with 2GB?

The 50000+ is only the allocated space for game data in the UDATA/TDATA folders. Why in the hell do you even care what it says? If you're modded, you certainly have other options for managing things on your HD, if you're not modded..........why the hell are you even asking this question? Well nm that........

#1 thing you need to know is: Not all Xboxes have 10GB drives, only the Seagate drives are 10GB. The other drive models are 8GB.

#2: Only around 4GB is allocated to the E drive where the U/T folders are located, the rest goes to the C drive for system stuff (Your dash etc) and the X, Y and Z drives (Temp.......for caching etc)

#3: If you're still seeing 50000+ blocks left, you shouldn't even be bothered worrying about how much space you have left. If you're curious though, you'll need to mod that box to find out just how much space there really is.

#4: 1 block = 64KB (50000 Blocks = 3200000kb/1024 = 3125MB) Makes sense when I told you theres around 4GB of space in the user drive "E" right? 50000+ means theres more than that much.

According to what you posted, you have 12GB of save data.........you're reading something wrong.

I went though all my saves and added every single block up with a calculator, and i just double checked it and i got the same number

I have like 20+ CDs on my Xbox, So i know i have alot used...what if i have some weird xbox with a 40GB HDD? Ha or maybe just a glitch. I swear i remember reading somewhere that a block was only 16KB though. I think it was calculated by dividing the blocks in a 8MB memory card or something.

and im just wondering how much space is left because id like to put as much music as possible on that thing and i wanna see how many more CDs worth i can put on there before i have to start getting picky about which ones are on there.

oh and one more question, im going to be buying a modchip once i cash my check actually from a member of this board, Is there a way i can copy all the music and stuff from my old xbox HDD to my new Xbox HDD? Theres some stuff on there that has some sentimental value my girlfriend put on there (STFU lol im serious) or can i just leave my box open and switch HDDs whenever i want? Because id like to still have Live.

Even by your calculations that it's 16kb (Trust me, it's 64.....google it) you'd still not be seeing 50000+ blocks available. Theres only around 4GB of user space. With what you said, you'd still be using like 3 of 4 GB..........def wouldn't be showing 50000+ blocks available.

Actually, I think he's right about blocks being 16 KB. Also, to be exact, the E partition is 4895 MB.

So if his calculation is correct about having 192083 blocks used (roughly 3001 MB), then:

4895 - 3001 = 1894 MB

1894 * 1024 = 1,939,456 KB

1,939,456 / 16 (block) = 121,216 Blocks Remaining

But I'm not sure if the XBox specifically reserves any of the space for caching. I know there is a cache folder on E: and I've read where some people stated that if you go below 1 GB free on E: that it can affect the performance of some games. But since I've never filled my E: partition to that much I can't say for sure if that is accurate.

The E drive is NOT used for caching game data. If you have a modded Xbox, run a game and then have a look through the X, Y and Z drives.........those are where cached data is stored.

Looking through my brothers right now, he just played LA Rush and in the X drive there is stored all the relevant cars, AI, Land and Resource data. The Y drive is empty and the Z drive contains Xbox specific cache data for the game such as fonts, GUI data etc.

I've never seen more than a few MB of data in the E drive cache, I'm not sure what exactly it's use is........but I assure you it's not for actual game data like levels, vehicles etc. It's probably more likely that it's temporary USER data.

Upon further checking though, 16kb IS 1 block........on the hard drive. On Memory Cards, 64kb is 1 block (according to one memory card mfg at least) this I find odd.....some sort of overhead in flash memory types?

Why would Microsoft put such a low numerical value, when theres so much more space than 50000 blocks?