CPS2 Decryption News w/ Charles MacDonald

Alpha

After close to 4 months, Charles MacDonald, the author of SMS Plus, Genesis Plus, TGEmu, Sega System 24, and more, has posted an update to his website!

I've been doing some research on the CPS-2 hardware in the last few months, starting as soon as the System 32 work was put on hold. I'll give a basic overview of the encryption, however I should point out I'm just elaborating on the findings that Razoola originally made, which are at CPS-2 Shock. As you can imagine the results of his prior experiments have been absolutely essential to this project.

The CPS-2 hardware uses a custom 68000 CPU running at 16MHz, though the effective speed is lower due to video DMA. Out of the 16MB address range, the lower 4MB is allocated for ROMs storing program code and data. The first 1MB of this area is where decryption is enabled, though the exact boundary under the 4MB point may change from game to game.

In addition to the address range check, there is a timer that expires after a certain amount of time has passed. When this happens, decryption is turned off and the 68K will execute code exactly as it is read from memory. A sequence of one or more specific instructions, changing on a per-game basis, will reset the timer and enable encryption again. The timer can be restarted after any duration from when it has expired.

The decryption logic uses bits A16 through A1 of the 68K address bus, meaning the encryption wraps every 128K. For each encrypted word at a given address there is exactly one unique output; in contrast to the FD1094 there are no disabled opcodes or 'blanked' data that resolve to the same decrypted value. Data read from the supervisor or user code space is decrypted (e.g. opcodes and operands) and data from the supervisor or user data space is not.

The size of a complete set of decrypted data for one game quite large, totalling 8GB - it takes forever to dump. There are no duplicate tables within a game's table set or between sets for different games, though I've only examined tables dumped from the two 'B' boards I have.

I've discussed analysis of the table data with a few other people and so far the encryption seems to be pretty tough to solve. As a result, I think progress will depend on additional help. If you have skill in this type of thing (strong mathematics background and familiarity with encryption) and would like to lend a hand, then please get in contact with me.

Working with the CPS-2 hardware has been challenging due to the large amount of custom parts involved. I designed a communications board with a USB adapter, DTACK generator, and interface to the CPS-2 video and peripheral bus, as well as several adapters to replace the 16V8 GALs with more capable 22V10 GALs that have their own shared I/O bus.

»» http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

»» Help him out!

Nice to see someone working on cps2 encryption again. I hope we do see some results this time around :unsure: (Maybe nicola will suprise us all *again*)