Microsoft loses $4 billion in the XBOX division

Agozer

http://news.com.com/2060-10797_3-0.html?tag=nefd.bl

Damn that's a lot of money. I wonder if the X360 will do any better...

Yes, that is a HEAVY loss but we've all known for years that the Xbox was a money loser to the more experienced companies like Sony and Nintendo. The Xbox just failed to appeal to enough players; Sony appealed to most players while Nintendo appealed to families. The Xbox just didn't have many consumers left after Sony and Nintendo took most of them. ;)

Err the losses on hardware are due to the cost of manufacturing the system, it has nothing to do with consumer base, which btw the Xbox holds the #2 spot for. Nintendo is #3 with less Gamecubes sold.

Ah, okay, thanks for that correction! ;) In that case, Microsoft could still repeat its mistakes by creating another super-powerful but super-costly console in the Xbox 360. :)

Err the losses on hardware are due to the cost of manufacturing the system, it has nothing to do with consumer base, which btw the Xbox holds the #2 spot for. Nintendo is #3 with less Gamecubes sold.

Ah, okay, thanks for that correction! ;) In that case, Microsoft could still repeat its mistakes by creating another super-powerful but super-costly console in the Xbox 360. :)

They are, and are expected to take a loss on each system at the start (Though much smaller than the Xbox). Sony's going to have one hell of a time selling to anyone but their hardcore userbase though, and they're expected to lose even more money on hardware than MS did with the Xbox.

I don't know about you, but even if I wanted one (Which I don't) I wouldn't shell out nearly a grand for a PS3. Bite my ass Sony.

They are, and are expected to take a loss on each system at the start (Though much smaller than the Xbox). Sony's going to have one hell of a time selling to anyone but their hardcore userbase though, and they're expected to lose even more money on hardware than MS did with the Xbox.

I don't know about you, but even if I wanted one (Which I don't) I wouldn't shell out nearly a grand for a PS3. Bite my ass Sony.

I thought that would happen with the Xbox 360.

Woah! Do you mean to say that the price of a Playstation 3 is going to be nearly ten thousand US dollars? ;)

Woah! Do you mean to say that the price of a Playstation 3 is going to be nearly ten thousand US dollars?  ;)

Cinder is way over-reacting, and he said *a* grand not 10 grand. Come on. Sure, the PS3 will be expensive, more expensive than the X360 or the Revolution, but it's still nowhere near $1000.

Woah! Do you mean to say that the price of a Playstation 3 is going to be nearly ten thousand US dollars?  ;)

Cinder is way over-reacting, and he said *a* grand not 10 grand. Come on. Sure, the PS3 will be expensive, more expensive than the X360 or the Revolution, but it's still nowhere near $1000.

Oh, right, thanks for the clarification! I thought a thousand dollars was a bit high for even the PS3! :)