DVDs in Xbox

Shibathedog

Okay so i always hear about how playing DVDs in your PS2 will wear out your drive (maybe thats why my old one died, although i think i only watched about 5 movies in it total) but will it do the same to my Xbox? Im going to be playing mostly burned media (because i dont feel like arguing with my brother for his DVD player that plays it, and mine died for some reason, no video out) I have the 1.5 Xbox with the Samsung drive. Right now im using DVD+Rs but ill be using DVD-Rs in the future after these run out. Im going to be using it to watch pretty much all my movies now, so is it safe?

Big crock of sh!t on both fronts, nothing but a fairytale.

Both systems have drives DESIGNED to read DVD media, infact playing games will wear it out faster......the drive is seeking data all over the place on the disk. With movies, it's a stream.

End of story. PERIOD

you may find it to be a crock but damn sure happened to me as i used to use my ps2 as a dvd player when it was first out and that one died as did my friend's which we both did the same (never been modded either).

the current one i'm using (v7 and modded with messiah 2 pro) has lasted me 3 years now and going and i haven't used it for playing dvd movies since i have bought a dvd player which was worth it since ps2's dvd player is half-assed with certain dvds but none the less its still running to this day.

xbox i never really saw a problem for dvd movies and mind you i bought my xbox just for xbmp/xbmc and emus sake (had a good deal on a modchip too but still hehe) tho my thomson drive that came in my xbox did crap out but i since used a phillips drive and it plays everything perfectly with the exception of +R DL's and -R G05's which it didn't like much.

my 2 cents, its worth getting a cheap dvd player to play whatever dvd movie you want and don't have to worry about abusing your consoles for their crappy dvd player.

PRican has a point. I think part of the problem is with burned media. Some drives have a hard time reading certain types or brands of burned media which results in the laser having to re-focus all the time. This can result in an early death just as quickly as having to seek all the time.

But I still think Shiba is relatively safe with his Samsung drive as long as he uses quality media.

Ill probably be using brands like Verbatim/Imation/Ritek/Memorex/TDK/HP, thats what i usually use.

It sounded like crap to me too, but i heard this from ALOT of people so i decided to ask. thanks alot for your help. I'll probably be using my Xbox to play most of my DVDs. Or get a new Philips DVP-642, I miss mine soooo much, and theres no way i want to convert all my DivX movies to DVD, that would just take way too long.

One more thing, How does the PS2/Mostly Xbox do reading DL burned DVDs?

And I have a slide card, and im going to get an old gameshark so i can use it, what medium is best for PS2 burned games? (yeah i know this is in xbox)

i personally use ritek/ridata G04 for all 3 systems (ps2, gc and xbox) and hasn't given me a prob tho G04 i believe is now discontinued so it might be harder to find but its one of the best media 4x media to use on consoles.

verbatim is also good but pricey at times.

my exprience so for with +R DL discs (ritek and verbatim) is that is best to set the booktype to DVD-ROM so older dvd players and console drives can like it more as some drives/ dvd players won't see it as a +R type and i know this includes older samsung drives for xbox.

okay thanks for the help. I'll probably be buying DVD-R DLs because they seem like the most compatible/are cheaper in most cases, but if i end up with +Rs ill have to remember that.

Also i have some MiniDVD-Rs that are 4X by Ridata/Ritek, and you mentioned gamecube, You can burn gamecube games!??!