Xbox Media Center?

Shibathedog

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

windows media center isn't needed for xbmc, thats only if you buy M$'s media center remote for xbox.

this is for SAMBA:

all you need to do is make a windows user for the xbox unless you wanna use your own so long you got a password and then make sure to uncheck "use simple file sharing" (tools-> folder options->view in windows explorer) and then go and right-click any folder/drive you wanna share and make sure the user for the xbox is able to access it, done for pc side of things.

now to allow xbmc connect to you pc using the login/password you setup for it you can do this in 2 ways:

1. right in xbmc's settings under network, go to SMB Share and add the info needed (ip and workgroup of pc, username, password) and apply changes.

2. ftp into the xbox and get to xbmc's folder and edit the xml to add the needed info (ip and workgroup of pc, username, password)

after that, go into music/videos and choose either (SMB) Network or WORKGROUP (SMB) Network to access your shares :P

i recomend using the latest xbmc since its normally updated daily :o

Ummm thats close :P

you dont need password or username if its in simple mode in SMB share setup in xbmc, just change the IP to IP of the computer and apply it then share any folders you want to on PC they will be added to list as long as filename doesnt have illegal characters or isnt longer than 40 characters in music pic video and filemanger. If you know what you are doing you can go into advanced and setup pass and user names but it sounds like you might not be at that level. Also SMB was broken on 3 sep for a few days so dont download that build

i know alot aabout networking so i can do that part. I just didnt know if it was actually going to check for media center edition.

Heres where it gets complicated, My xbox is connected to my laptop which has a wireless PCMCIA card so it can connect to Xbox Live and such. Now i have to get my Xbox to connect through my laptop and into my PC Which also has a wireless card to get my media. I have no idea what kind of features are in the Media center edition GUI, but i hope it has the right ones to get this to work.

uhh, i think i didnt explain myself properly, im talking about buying the one from ms, i dont think im going to mod my xbox.

I should really get another Xbox and just mod it, seriously, it pisses me off that im sacrificing all this crap just to be able to play online. And All anyone plays anymore on XBC and stuff is Halo/Halo2 which i dont even really like.