Play custom DVD & S/VCDs on the XBOX

heero

did you know that if you want to play DVDs that you have custom burnt to a DVD disk you can then play them in you XBOX, neat aye...

all you do is when burning the DVD you need to make a menu with is or else it won't work, also note that this will not work with CDR/RW on DVD+/-R/RW

have fun :shootem:

actually you don't, using a simple app as dvdx can play a dvd using your controller.

even sweeter, using xbmc (xbox media center) you can watch dvd or svcd images from your pc and now for dvd images or vobs it uses menus and such thos its still not 100% working like when using dvdx or the remote kit (best example is like watching a kung fu flick which isn't english and even if you selected the english subtitle from the dvd menu, it won't work unless you do it from xbmc's menu).

oh and svcd/vcds do work using xbmc with nothing done to them tho i will say that some dvd-roms do not see certain cdr's as svcd/vcds so you may wanna try a few different types of media if your dvd-rom can read cdrs. for those that have dvd-rom that can't read cdrs, best to use smb share from your pc to stream the bin/mpg file on xbmc.

and on a last note, using dvdrws or cdrws really depends more on your dvd-rom excepting them as mines works fine with tdk dvd-rws and most xbox dvd-roms can read cdrws but some depend on the type of media, worth trying a few good quality media and highly advise avoiding cheap media like princo which doesn't last long for the life of it.

And you said it didnt work with DVD+/-R/RW...wouldnt that mean pretty much every recordable DVD besides DVD-RAM doesnt work?

My xbox isnt modded and it reads DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, CD-R, CD-RW media. And for burned DVDs. I have a lot of burned DVDs that dont have menus (Getting movies to fit on non dual layer discs, i havent tried anything dual layer yet, has anyone else?) that play fine.

Havent tried DVD-RAM because i still dont even really know what its used for anymore.

I should try burning DVD format video on a CD-R and seeing if it plays. (although i doubt it will)

Havent tried DVD-RAM because i still dont even really know what its used for anymore.

Other then on the fly editing. Me either! But yes, that's it's main purpose.

And you said it didnt work with DVD+/-R/RW...wouldnt that mean pretty much every recordable DVD besides DVD-RAM doesnt work?

My xbox isnt modded and it reads DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, CD-R, CD-RW media. And for burned DVDs. I have a lot of burned DVDs that dont have menus (Getting movies to fit on non dual layer discs, i havent tried anything dual layer yet, has anyone else?) that play fine.

I should try burning DVD format video on a CD-R and seeing if it plays. (although i doubt it will)

Sorry bout that i did mean to type ONLY DVD+/-R/RWs, just a typo that i over looked, sorry again, my bad

well i can tell you that if you gonna use dvd+r dl disc or +r in general for that matter, i highly suggest to set the bitsetting to dvd-rom so it can be more compatible with drives.

i had an xbox with a samsung dvd-rom and it wouldn't see my dvd+r dl movies that weren't set to dvd-rom bitsetting but my copy of rallisport 2 which was set on dvd-rom bitsetting ran fine on the samsung dvd-rom.

pioneer dvd-r 104 (2x) dvd-r original OLD burner has just died minutes before i read this thread...its hard to say but i will guess it has burned 7,000 dvd-r's and at least 12,000 cd-r in its lifetime...since 2000

now thats a dvd-r drive!

5 years i hate to have to pull it out :devilboy: ...i would obviously recomend any model of pioneer drives as they are the industry standard for desktop burning..

Edited by sammaz