PS2 or PStwo?

Max

well if you ever want to use a hdd, i suggest getting an older ps2 since the new pstwo doesn't have ide and using usb hdd on the slim is slower then running a game like normal since ps2 has 1.1 usb not 2.0 as a dumb site like ps2nfo aka ps2ownz claims (seriously, who in the right mind would listen to a sony repair tech for that answer :) ). pstwo also has a kit out to add a ide cable but you're still better off with the older version as at least with that it has a place for the hdd ^_^

also other thing to consider that effects v9-v12 (not sure about 13 yet) as that you'll need a diode fix to keep from your laser dying out of the blue and this happens regardless of having a modchip or not!

either ps2/two can be modded as is as the latest modchips works with all current models and if you're wondering what would be the best model? my choice is v7 as it has no probs with modchips or backups and can read -/+R media great.

also a great suggestion: don't use the ps2 as a dvd player as it can put wear and tear on the laser and besides that, you're better off with a cheap dvd player that can do more ;)

How can I distinguish between the versions?

For example, what version is the slim system with the number SCPH-70004? V12, V13 or lower?

It should be on the packaging... Right?

As for what you asked before...

Only reason I recommended the Older PS2 Model is because of the HDD support... But, at the same time... Sony has pretty much abandoned it... I have one, and it's of absolutely NO use... other then playing FFXI (Which I don't) and Saving RE:Outbreak game date (which I don't play).

Its much smaller than I thought it would be, I love it.

I'm a huge MGS nut and MGS3 is blowing me away, what an amazing game. I'm only a few hours in but I can already see it getting into my top 3.

I watched a friend play dmc once and didn't think much of it, not really into the whole gothic thing.

Edited by Max