SNES emulators - BSNES v007 and SNEeSE 0.84

Robert

Two SNES emulator updates in one day!

BSNES v007 has been released!

06/12/2005 - bsnes v0.007 released

I have done quite a bit, so I'll try my best to recap most of the fixes since the last release...

* HDMA was not running during DMA transfers

* Emulator did not recognize any filetype other than .smc

* Added configuration file support and imported my vector/string/config libraries into bsnes

* Added option to use system RAM instead of video RAM for display, this can greatly increase speed on certain video cards

* Increased speed by ~15% by adding 256x224 renderer (still very buggy when the SNES mixes video modes mid-frame)

* mvn/mvp opcodes were not setting the DB register

* Fixed joypad input in many games (Super Mario: All Stars, Dragon Quest III, etc.)

* Major speedup with frakeskip option

* Fixed default aspect ratio when emulator is first started

There's probably a lot more, but that's all I remember offhand... this release should be a lot closer to the quality of v0.005a, but still needs a bit more polishing.

»» Official Site

»» Download it Now! [1Emulation Server]

Credits: News - File - Changelog

SNEeSE 0.84 has been released!

* Source: Fixed a flaw that caused problems during linking

* SPC700: Fixed a bug in the timing of timer 2

* SPC700: Fixed a bug in the timing of SPC700 opcode execution

* SPC700: Fixed a bug affecting all of the SPC700 timers, causing the delay needed for cases where the timer target is set previous to the current position to only be applied in all cases where it was not needed

* SPC700: Rewrote entire core, replacing it with a cycle-based core  written in C; helps Tales of Phantasia and games by Enix

* SPC700: Corrected timer counter registers to not be reset on write, and corrected most write opcodes to read first, thanks to anomie for research confirming this theory

* Source: Fixed a bug in the makefile that caused 'make clean' to not remove the binary

»» Official Site

»» Download it Now! [1Emulation Server]

Credits: Official Site

Looks like BSNES v007 had a major problem, version v007a has just been released to fix it. Here's what Byuu had to say:

06/13/2005 - The evils of overloaded operators

I just started learning how to use these things, and I was using a string object on a function that required a char* (_getcwd()), and saying that the length of the path could be longer than the default size of the string. As a result, if the path of the startup folder where you launched bsnes v0.007 (or the path of the ROM you dragged onto the emulator) was longer than 16 letters, the emulator would crash.

Sorry about that. I keep my emulator in c:\root\bsnes, so I didn't even notice. Perhaps a beta testing section down the road would be a good idea... anyway, I'm sorry to have to post a new version so soon after the last one, but I went ahead and put v0.007a up on the download page. I also cleaned up the file reader code and added a file writer, which cleans up the source just a tiny bit.

The new version is available on the link in the first post.