NeorageX

I wouldn't know, since I don't use Linux or any UNIX-based operating systems. I just gave an alternative. True, Linux' emulators aren't that good compared to the Windows ones.

You could just rename your.rom files to.bin files manually. Of course, those sets with the ROM extension are usually dedcrypted sets.

yeah i tried renaming it and it didn't work ofcourse.

renaming the files don't do any good anyways because mame identifies roms based on their CRC not their file names.

however let me get this straight:.bin is usually encrypted and.rom is usually decrypted?

so the encrypted ones require the emulator to decrypt them while decrypted ones simply require the emulator to run them? if this is the case i can probably get the roms to run without the drivers.. i want to clear this all up first however (takes a while to compile)

also, if i am correct, why are encrypted romsets much larger than decrypted ones? it would seem to me it should be the other way around..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, decrypted are usually ROM and encrypted are usually BIN... or rather, that how it used to be at least. The newer romsets are usually without a shadow of a doubt BIN regardless of whether or not they are encrypted.

Encrypted sets are larger by nature becuse encrypted data does not compress at all (or compresses very poorly; either way).

And yes, the emulator needs to decrypt the encypted sets before it can run them.

Yes, decrypted are usually ROM and encrypted are usually BIN... or rather, that how it used to be at least. The newer romsets are usually without a shadow of a doubt BIN regardless of whether or not they are encrypted.

Encrypted sets are larger by nature becuse encrypted data does not compress at all (or compresses very poorly; either way).

And yes, the emulator needs to decrypt the encypted sets before it can run them.

thanks for the info it was helpful, now i understand what's going on here

but i don't see me getting this to work.. along with CRCs i also need SHA1 codes, memory address locations, rom regions, and a bunch of stuff. i tried just changing the names of the files and CRCs from the driver for the encrypted version but ofcourse that didn't work. also there are some files that are different filenames.

i suppose my best bet is finding the encrypted romsets for which i have the drivers.. but i've looked everywhere already =/

i guess i can try getting gngeo to play them...

Yeah, MAME requires quite a bit of information if you plan on writing your own custom drivers for your custom MAME build... This is why I find Kawaks/Nebula Loader to be easier, since you don't need to worry about SHA1, and the overall layout of the DATs is very simple compared to MAME drivers.