Gpic Worm Hits AIM

UPDATED: In an advisory posted by enterprise IM vendor IMlogic Wednesday, officials warned of a new worm (define) spread by old means: getting users to click on a URL (define) that purports to come from a friend on their buddy list.

The latest threat to AOL's instant messaging (IM) platform, AIM, again targets users' penchants to blindly click on links supplied by friends. The Gpic.aol worm comes with a message saying, "damn this looks just like me lol" and a link to what is displayed as pictures.google.com.

In reality, the displayed URL obscures the real Web site at newpeople.no-ip.info, which then downloads onto the user's system, collects the names in the buddy list and sends the same message to all of them.

Gpic.aol is considered a medium-level risk threat; it doesn't actually deliver a payload that allows the malware (define) writer to gain remote access to the computer or corrupt or erase data on the hard drive.

For the time being, IM worms are merely a nuisance, propagating from one AIM buddy list to another. But Francis deSouza, IMlogic CEO, said he fears it's only a matter of time before virus writers start delivering damaging code as well.

http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3509321

I dont know if its same worm I got multiple times today..but the stupidass who has my sn keeps senting me this...and this happened to me w/o clicking on the link...

Ionno, either the internet slows down to the point were I can't even log in 1emu or I get another virus soon after d/ling firefox

Then it most likely isn't Firefox's fault, you know.

Ionno, either the internet slows down to the point were I can't even log in 1emu or I get another virus soon after d/ling firefox

Then it most likely isn't Firefox's fault, you know.

Like I said before, I aint taking my chances a second time, it takes about 8 hours now to install FFXI and it was a pain the first 2 times.