PlayStation Mod Chips

I have a few questions about PlayStation mod chips. I bought a boot disc for the PlayStation 1 so I could run my import and back-up games on my machine without having to have it chipped. The boot cd was a bad idea it turns out. With my cr@p Breaker Pro disc, even original bought copies of games don't play perfectly if I boot them up with my boot disc. they stick at the same points everytime while trying to load and a lot of my games fail to play the music.

I want to know if there are different types of chips that work differently or if there is just a standard chip that works the best. If there are multiple, I would like to know which one is the best/most compatible.

I also want to know how well they work. Does every game work exactly as it should or do you lose sound on games or do some games fail to even load when a mod chip is fitted?

Thanks.

Mod-chips are always more reliable that booth discs/slidecards. There aren't too many PSX modchips anymore, but I guess this one is the most recent.

http://www.mod-chip.com/index2.php?go=en/ps1_order.htm

Of course, there's always the risk that you mess up the solder job, but from what I've been hearing from my friends, they do come with almost fool-proof instructions.

All chips works with backups and retail games. Check the model compatibility on the page I you. If you're model is not in there, then I really don't know alternative chips.

thanks. but will that work on the older grey PlayStation models? If not, which chip should I opt for?

And can anyone tell me if chips will affect the games I already own? As I obviously will not be able to take out the chip to play my official games.

You using an old school PSX system, I use a PS Hackeri got at a flea market and it hasn't failed me a whole lot (only when I need to change discs). It's a good one but if you plan on playing games with multiple discs, it ain't for you.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to go with Agozers suggestion (the Stealth 4 mod chip). I was looking around and I saw that there was a newer 'Stealth V mod chip' and I will probably go for that. Although I live in the UK and there aren't any internet shops that sell chips that I could find so I'm going to have to pay out about £15 for the chip and £10 shipping. :angry:

Thanks for the help.

K-dash - does your hacker thingy stop some of your games playing music or have you seen any problems with loading some of your games (official, import or CD-R copies)?

Offical games I can just turn it off, or take it out. Imports work fine. Backups work fine unless their multidisked.

Offical games I can just turn it off, or take it out. Imports work fine. Backups work fine unless their multidisked.

I wouldn't be able to take mine out to play official games, but I just remembered that I could use my PS2 to play these.

So never mind. I'll just use my soon to be chipped PS1 to play import and back ups and use my PS2 for official PSone games.