layout for website

Ryuken

i was thinking about updating my website and i want to add a page layout but i dunno how to make one and aplly it to my website. btw i have dreamweaver, photoshop cuz my friend told me to use those to make a layout

i search the net on how to make a layout in photoshop but then i dunno how to aply it to my old site

See above.

Photoshop is not a site design tool, it's an art program. You need to program the design and then make the art a part of it. Hence, if you want an interesting design, you need to learn some HTML and maybe some CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) before you worry about photoshop so much.

Think of the site's design like the wood and metal frame of a house. It's not pretty to look at, but it's the functional part. That's what you have to code. Once you have the walls in place, then you can start painting them the way you like. That's where photoshop comes in.

Although, once you know what you can and can't program, photoshop is great for laying things out beforehand.

Edited by Daeval

i know what's photoshop is, i know a lil bit of html and i thought u design the layout first and then do the coding but i guess i was wrong

You're not wrong really, just getting ahead of yourself. Once you know how to code you can design the layout first in photoshop, and then code it using html or whatever. They really go hand in hand, and you need both from the start.

To use the house analogy again... You can't physically build a nice house without having an idea of what you want it to look like in the end. Therefore, you need to have some artistic design first. On the other hand, it's pointless to make an artistic design before you have any idea how to put it together - you might design a house that looks really nice, but if it won't support the roof, you're screwed.

So, you need to learn the basic principles of bulding (code), and maybe practice on little things, before you try to come up with an artistic design that you could actually build. Once you know your limits with the code, then you can build a design in photoshop that you could make happen, and then make it happen with code.

It's confusing.. basically, start doing HTML tutorials and you'll start to get it.

ok, that's more like it. but anyway what kind of coding would i use?? html cuz when i search html tutorials all i get is the basic stuff that i know or does this have to do with ccs??

Edited by Ryuken