New Video Card

Shibathedog

Okay well my other PC is pretty much crap right now and i need some upgrades so i can play lan games and stuff Basic Specs

2.4Ghz Processor

64MB Intel POS Video card (needs to go)

256MB DDR RAM (need more)

I want to be able to play Doom 3, i dont need it to be on ultra super high, but this all the way low settings and getting 12FPS thing is crap, I also want to be able to play UT2k4, Half-life 2, Painkiller, etc. Max Payne 2 works maxed out getting like 30 FPS average so i guess its just an upgrade for that.

I dont need any of these game to run on super ultra high, but at least medium would be nice. I think i should get at least 512MB of DDR RAM, but maybe more.

Im not sure about the graphics card though, The mobo only supports AGP 4X and i dont have the money to upgrade a mobo right now, so im stuck with that. I was looking at some of the BFG tech cards, like the GeForceFX5950OC, but i cant really find anywhere that sells that card, my price range is probably anywhere from 200-400 but a cheaper card that still works well would be better so i could get more RAM i think.

I should probably upgrade the processor but ill do that later, alot of games say 2.4 is really enough.

So what do you think i should get?

Edited by Shibathedog

If you're just looking to be able to play those things at a decent speed, get yourself 512MB of DDR and find someone selling a GeForce 4 Ti4600 on ebay and you'll be fine. It doesn't sound like your PC is all that bad off. Obviously, an even better video card will mean even better performance. You might check out http://www.anandtech.com for performance comparisons and pricing.

Bare minimum to not be wasting your money/making a stupid purchase..... a Radeon 9600

I'd recommend an NvIdia card, but the last NvIdia I ever had was a GF3, and I'll NEVER own another NvIdia card in my life.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

My gf cards have been nothing but good to me, and it was ATI that was terrible about its driver support until recently. Nowadays they're about even in terms of ease-of-use.

yeah i was talking to my friend and he said a GeForceFX 5900 or a GeForce 6600 would probably run everything on high, but i cant seem to find a 6600 with 256MB of memory anywhere.

thanks for the help ill look into those Radeons

Also the Radeon 9800s where the best for awhile, has the price gone down on those alot by now? or is that not worth it anymore?