Game: Virtua Fighter Remix

System: PC, Saturn

Emulators: Giri Giri, Casini

Developer: Sega

Publisher: Sega

Year: 1995

PCREMIX1.th.jpg

vfremix_2.png

This PC port of an arcade mega-hit did not sell well simply because of its hefty system requirements, texture mapped polygon capabilities (P133 and 32MB of RAM three years ago, when the majority of gamers still didn't have a Pentium). This is the true version of the original Virtua Fighter, (not that disappointment that came out on the 32X) this time everything just feels right. Now let’s go back in time to 1995 and rate this game. Many fans complained with the way to blocky look of the original VF, well in VF remix consider it gone, no more are the characters a walking stack of block. They now are well modeled and move with a fluidness never before seen at the time. Graphically the game is a knockout, probably the best the PC had to offer at the time. All the graphical issues were addressed this time, nothing was left out. But the most important thing now must come into play; can the rest of the game match up? Yes and by far. The best PC fighting game market at the time was (and still is I believe) rather dull and without quality. Even the consoles were suffering from the same old rehashed 2D fighter; nothing very impressive was coming out. VF remix breathed new life into PC fighting game market. With over 700 moves (witch was unheard of back than) fully 3D backgrounds and characters, a depth in a fighting game that was never seen before, true to life martial arts and unparalleled graphics witch resulted in a fighting experience like never before. Sadly the game went unnoticed because of the high system requirements.

BANKIN.jpg

The playability of the game is a mixed bag, if you have an Arcade stick for your PC than you will do just fine, actually you will have a perfect arcade experience. But if you use the keyboard it can be difficult to get things started, the user interface is not very friendly, and unlike VF 2 for the PC it is quite frustrating. If you are like me and you downloaded that game off of the net, you will have no manual therefore you will have no idea what to key to press. Instead of making things easier and being able to adjust the control’s in the option menu you had to wait till play to change the controls around to your liking, you had to press F3 I think. Than the menu will come up, it’s not a big deal but still a slight distraction/annoyance.

The music is good, sounds just like the arcade version, but you might be tempted to mute the volume after hearing Jacky immaturely say “I’m faster than lighting!” It does not bother me, I actually find it quite funny but I have herd before that the characters win quotes can get annoying.

This game has good replay value if you have someone to play with. There is one secret character to unlock (Dural) but nothing special. After your actually learn how to play the game its best played competitively with a friend who knows how to play too.

In the end you get a masterpiece that should be enjoyed by all, especially since it is a free download that you can find off of many sites (get a 100 post here and I’ll tell you where to get it) there is no reason why not to give this game a shot.

Controls: 9.5

Gameplay: 9.5

Graphics: 10

Sound: 8.5

Overall Score: 9.375

Grade: A

Overall I give this game a :blink:

For some reason I just can't bother with the older VF's so much anymore now that i have VF4: Evolution on the PS2...

I know what you mean. For the sake of nostalgia and because gryph asked me to review all the VF's, and because I love to review games.