[8/31/04] Kirby Superstar

Game Name: Kirby Superstar

Systems: Snes

Genre: Platform

Emulators: Zsnes, Snes9x

-------------------------------------------

title.gif

Kirby Superstar is probably one of the greatest Kirby games out there to this day. I have only discovered it half a year ago, and I still love it. It is the same Kirby goodness but it is so much more than that. There are minigames and new game modes in this game, but it still retains to the original Kirby gameplay. There is multiple story plots in this game and some don't make sense at all, but most games are fun without any plot :lol:

selection.gif

As you can see here, there are multiple game modes. Some are locked and you have to beat the rest of the levels to unlock them. My favorite level includes one that involves metaknight (2nd favorite kirby char). All games are as equally hard and challenging as the other modes. However, the levels that you unlock get really really hard and takes a lot of skill to beat them. The bosses play a key part in this game and You'll probably want to know their weaknesses (hint hint).

ingame.gif

So what changed about Kirby? Basically nothing. You can still eat, slide, fly, shoot fireballs. However there are a ton of awesome powers in this game that makes the game more enjoyable. Some are plain useless and were just put there to make the gameplay fun! The graphics also look way better than before, and the layout of the lifepoints and stuff are easier to read :D.

The backgrounds and the music of the game are still catchy! Kirby = Always Catchy. Not much I can say about this here anymore.

partner.gif

Kirby superstar took kirby's powers to a whole new level. Besides just discarding powers now, Kirby can make a partner that assist Kirby in his fight against the enemies. You can also extract life from your partner which is really really nice. The only bug with this feature is that you can turn your partner into an item which allows you to get the power again. Then, you can get the partner again and steal his life points, Its an infinite amount of lifepoints!!! The powers were really revamped also. They added many special moves to each power that make them unique. Finally, some powers aren't just one thing anymore :). (As you can see, I like the fighter power).

The minigames are a nice feature to Kirby superstar. They are more based on reaction times and timing. They're not that hard to master, and they're a nice break from making kirby eat an infinite amount of enemies. One minigame includes a samurai game which times your reaction. The other minigame is a karate chop contest that trains your timing. Each are pretty easy if you don't mess up.

Kirby Superstar for Snes is a must have for Kirby fans and Video gamers. It took Kirby to a whole new level and is way better than those Kirby games you see today. Kirby needs to stay 2d because his reputation can't save him all the time!

Play this game now!!!

Gameplay: 10

Speed: 9.5

Sound: 9.5

Controls: 10

Score 9.75.

Grade: A+ <--I'm breaking rules here

Overall, I gave this game a ;)

Yeah I've got this game for my SNES and it is pretty good (although it is called Kirby's Fun Pak or something in the UK). I wouldn't say it was a 10/10 masterpiece but that's just my opinion. Good review.

By the way, Great Cave Offensive is the best name for a game ever. Shame about the actual game though (it was my least favourite).