*Sigh* need to upgrade...again!

I already said that the 9600xt is out of my budget. It's $315AUD whereas the 9600pro is $230AUD so getting the xt is not an option.

Random- I assume you are Australian. If you live in Sydney, check MSY out.

MSY Computers

As you can see, a GIGA-BYTE 128MB 9600XT is only $215 AUD. The 256MB is $265. A lot cheaper than what you thought. I personally got my 256MB 9600 XT from there- they have warranties and all that; it's above board. You should try there.

I already said that the 9600xt is out of my budget. It's $315AUD whereas the 9600pro is $230AUD so getting the xt is not an option.

Random- I assume you are Australian. If you live in Sydney, check MSY out.

MSY Computers

As you can see, a GIGA-BYTE 128MB 9600XT is only $215 AUD. The 256MB is $265. A lot cheaper than what you thought. I personally got my 256MB 9600 XT from there- they have warranties and all that; it's above board. You should try there.

Nice advice - I don't live in sydney but they may do mail orders - but the question is is it worth getting a 128mb 9600xt or a 256mb 9600 pro from a local shop for the same price?

Actually they have two Victoria branches as well. But if you reckon theyl end up the same price, I'd go for a 9600XT even if its 128MB. My friend has that one, but he sets the AGP aperture to 256MB and I can't tell the difference between his and mine. Maybe Doom 3 will make a difference though...

Actually they have two Victoria branches as well. But if you reckon theyl end up the same price, I'd go for a 9600XT even if its 128MB. My friend has that one, but he sets the AGP aperture to 256MB and I can't tell the difference between his and mine. Maybe Doom 3 will make a difference though...

I dunno, I'll probably just go with the 256mb pro. I'd say it'd be better than the 128mb xt anyway, plus I can get it locally.

dont base your decision on the amount of ram the card has. when dealing with a bottom-of-the-line gaming card like a 9600, 128 vs 256 mb of ram is not going to make a big difference. most games dont even use 256mb of vram, with the exception of possibly doom3.

the 9600xt is the better card, even with half the vram, because it is fully directx 9 compatible. if you shortchange yourself now on features that are quickly becoming important, you will be in this same situation a year from now when the games dont look or play as advertised.

dont base your decision on the amount of ram the card has.  when dealing with a bottom-of-the-line gaming card like a 9600, 128 vs 256 mb of ram is not going to make a big difference. most games dont even use 256mb of vram, with the exception of possibly doom3.

the 9600xt is the better card, even with half the vram, because it is fully directx 9 compatible. if you shortchange yourself now on features that are quickly becoming important, you will be in this same situation a year from now when the games dont look or play as advertised.

I was about to make the same "mistake", but luckily my friend told me exactly what you just posted.

Edited by Agozer