help installing debian and slackware

alexis

the videocard, i have no idea what to do to configure it, i will try wha nezumi said, regarding soundcard, the alc ac 97 via 82xx is recognised by linux but it is turned off, it tells me to run a command, don´t remember now which to configure it, i could never test it but when i run this command i can edit the volumes of everything, but devices have the [off] message next to them, the command if i remember well was to configure the sound mixer.

how about fsck when i am asked to run it manually i have no choice but to install the whole OS again since i duuno how to use it. I´ve installed fedroa again but i don´t really like it, it is easy but limited, like to add software, i can´t manually select what to install, i am given some cethegories an some soft on it and i have t o choose which i want and chich i don´t. I am still trying to install debian. I have tried slackware and i really like it, if i could configure my hard and install custom packages that would be perfect.

If i just didn´t have so many problems copying files, i don´t care i bought a new dvd drive, i just have to go and pick it up, that has to fix it.

BTW, Nezumi, i owe you a really big appologise, for asking such a stupid question about Slackware before (what is slackware? a piece of soft?) i should have read more before writing that. Anyway thnx guys.