Need Help Fixing Roms...

I'm a newbie recommended to this place by a friend who frequents the board. I have this problem that I hope someone will be kind enuff to help out.

I own Mame32 and when I try to load certain NG roms to play, i get error saying that the files are missing something or are corrupted. I get messages like this:

"096-c1.bin WRONG CHECKSUMS:

EXPECTED: CRC(f6c74731) SHA1(7cd585d40b0993e361a24f917aa220504f12c543)

FOUND: CRC(f17b8d89) SHA1(7180df23f7c7a964b0835fda76970b12f0aa9ea8)

096-c2.bin WRONG CHECKSUMS:

EXPECTED: CRC(f587f149) SHA1(496446ecc7b39a034b4e28218afb147577a04ab5)

FOUND: CRC(3840c508) SHA1(55adc7cd26fec3e4dbd779df6701bc6eaba41b84)"

I'm no techie so I don't understand just what this means. All I know is when I try to go ahead and load the games, the graphics get all grainy and distorted. Is there a way to fix such errors?

The CRCs (Cyclic Redundancy Check) of the files in your romset doesn't match those that MAME expects. You'll have to find a corresponding set or start modifying the MAME source code.

Or use a different emulator...but that doesn't always make things better.

Edited by Agozer

The CRCs (Cyclic Redundancy Check) of the files in your romset doesn't match those that MAME expects. You'll have to find a corresponding set or start modifying the MAME source code.

Well its easier to modify in other emulators, specifically Nebula.

Well its easier to modify in other emulators, specifically Nebula.

Or Kawaks for that matter. Hell, why not use NeoRAGEx? (No need for CRCs) <_>

Edited by Agozer

Ok, that sounds like a plan so where is the BEST source to download those exact emulators?

I once tried both neorage and kawaks but one didn't have an exe file that i could use to play and the other really slowed my system down (making the game look real slow).

Although the idea of modification sounds nice too...

Since your trying to get Art of Fighting 3 (096) working, NeoRAGEx 0.6b is adequate. You can find it here: http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50884/emulator/rage.htm

I do have to remind you that it uses a different set of the Neo-Geo BIOS than MAME.

You can get Kawaks and Nebula here: http://www.cps2shock.com

Since your trying to get Art of Fighting 3 (096) working

I just have to say, that was mad l33t. Identifying a game by number. :lol: hehe

Just as a note, if you're using Windows XP, trying to use version 0.6b of NeoRAGEx is going to give you headaches, but you should have no trouble with 0.8c, a relalatively easy to find hack.

If you're not using Windows XP, 0.6b is the way to go.

Since your trying to get Art of Fighting 3 (096) working

I just have to say, that was mad l33t. Identifying a game by number. :lol: hehe

and now, you too will have the power to identify neogeo games by numbers

Edited by Xeon

I do have to remind you that it uses a different set of the Neo-Geo BIOS than MAME.

]

Ok, so where do I get these? I don't trust common websites cus they're spyware, phishing and virus traps (trust me, I currently have been both trojan'd and spywared already five times in the past 2 weeks looking for both Mame ROMs and emulators).

If anyone can direct to a well trusted website (or at least a good FTP site with address), I'd be grateful.

]

Ok, so where do I get these? I don't trust common websites cus they're spyware, phishing and virus traps (trust me, I currently have been both trojan'd and spywared already five times in the past 2 weeks looking for both Mame ROMs and emulators).

If anyone can direct to a well trusted website (or at least a good FTP site with address), I'd be grateful.

A late reply, yes...

http://www.bioshouse.fr.st