Swap Switch Mod

Are you tired of making those stupid things that hold the button down in your PSX so you can use the swap trick? My brother kept breaking mine and pissing me off, plus they wear out after awhile, and are a pain to align/keep aligned right.

So i invented a mod!

Go to radioshack and get a PC BOARD SWITCH Its tiny, and should be red (although they had a few black ones) it should have TWO CONTACTS on the bottom, not three.

Get some wire (i pulled some copper wiring out of some large wire i had)

and get a soldering gun/iron and some solder, some screwdrivers, and thats about it

Open your PSX, there are lost of guides to do this, but ill try my best (im in school right now and dont have it with me)

Unscrew all the screws on the bottom of the PSX, flip it over, lift the top off, unplug any wires that are plugged into the motherboard CAREFULLY, now unscrew all the screws on the big metal plate over the mobo that had the CDROM thing on it.

Now unscrew the board out of the PSX (if its screwed in)

There should be a white switch on the top that looks like this

_____
-       -
-       -
-   _  -
-       -
_____

The Dash in the middle is a little black button, Now flip the PSX and under that switch there should be four contacts that look like this..

OO

OO

Now solder a copper wire to the ones labeled X below

XO

OX

Thats how it was on my PSX, but test it by hooking everything to the mobo and plugging it in with a disc in if you want, if the disc spins while those are connected, it works (i used a paperclip to test)

Now in the corner of the PSX where that huge serial port comes out, cut out some plastic, out of the PSX body and the cover clip thing

Tape all the wire down with electric tape so you know its not touching anything that isnt metal, (if its on one of the flatwires of the board, they are covered, it doesnt matter, but on mine it was real easy because there was a huge opening of nothing at all going to the serial port, so i didnt have to worry about it touching anything, except i taped it so the wires wouldnt move and possibly touch something)

Now get the wires to come out the back (if their too long, dont worry about it)

Put everything back together, and you should have some wires coming out the back of your PSX now, Solder those wires onto the switch

Bend the wires, and loop them around the contacts, and then drip solder on the loops that are arund the contacts on the switch, then cut excess wire, thats how i did it.

Now you if your switch didnt fit in perfectly tight (mine didnt) Put some epoxy glue or slicone or something on the clip that goes over the big serial port.

Your done!

The advantages?

No more swap thingies

You can close your PSX lid without having to take out the swap thing, and then put it back in when you want to use it again.

You can close the lid when your done with the swap trick and no dust and crap will get in

you can open and close the lid whenever you need you and have complete controll over if the PSX thinks its closed or not

WHen the PSX lid is closed, the PSX gets the closed signal, no matter what position the switch is in, so playing originals and stuff is easier

if you have an annoying brother who opens the lid and makes the game screw up to annoy you, keep the switch flipped, and no problem there!!

there are alot of other avantages, but you can probably figure them out for yourself, besides, im tired of typing :lol:

Edited by Shibathedog

yeah but if you ever have to have the lid open then you have to fiddle with tape and whatevers under it and stuff

this guide just promotes lazyness

and by the way use Epoxy LIQUID glue, it usually has two tubes and you have to mix both tube's liquid stuff together, it hardens into plastic, and it works great