Cheats Newbie

Well... alright... I dunno how to do this. I've been copying and pasting some of the cheats I've seen here (namely Real Bout 2 for Kawaks) into a notepad. that one's a note pad. the ones I've downloaded from haggars site are all dats. I'm thinkin "ok. well how do I make that into a dat". for the hell of it I left it as a notepad. no good. I see the cheats for Kof03 and I'd really REALLY like to check those out in my MAME hack for it, but I dunno how 2 make or use cheats frankly!...

eh... well any help is thanked much in advance, so if u can give me a hand I'd appreciate it.

well, in kawaks I have a bunch of seperate dats that work for seperate games, but no one dat that just says "cheats". I had 2 make my own cheats folder for my mame, and I just threw a notepad in the for Kof03. needless 2 say, no good. any ideas? :lol:

Dude, I don't want to sound like an uncaring person, but I don't really see what's so hard about this.

A cheat DAT is simply a text file with a.dat extension that goes into Kawaks' / Nebula's cheat folder. Each game has it's own cheat file.

Open up and existing dat and add your codes in there then save the file.

MAME has it's own cheat DAT that you just put into the cheat folder.

Edited by Agozer

Dude, I don't want to sound like an uncaring person, but I don't really see what's so hard about this.

A cheat DAT is simply a text file with a.dat extension that goes into Kawaks' / Nebula's cheat folder. Each game has it's own cheat file.

Open up and existing dat and add your codes in there then save the file.

MAME has it's own cheat DAT that you just put into the cheat folder.

my only problem is saving it as a dat. I have seen no file in either my mame or my kawaks folder that says cheats.dat. if I did see such a file, I'd know exactly what to do. but I DON'T see such a file. that's why I'm here

Edited by bled2deth17

In Kawaks, each game has it's own DAT named after the romset.

MAME uses a cheat file named "cheat.dat" that is usually located in the same directory as the MAME executable.

To save your own ccheats as a DAT, the cheat layout has to match the Kawaks/MAME standards. Once you've done inputting those cheats into Notepad, Choose Save As and then on click file type box and select *.*

This prevents you from saving the DAT as a plain text file. Just type in the name as xxxxxx.dat and Notepad should save it as a.dat

Edited by Agozer

To save your own ccheats as a DAT, the cheat layout has to match the Kawaks/MAME standards. Once you've done inputting those cheats into Notepad, Choose Save As and then on click file type box and select *.*

This prevents you from saving the DAT as a plain text file. Just type in the name as xxxxxx.dat and Notepad should save it as a.dat

add to that, to make sure your file will save as <romname>.dat instead of <romname>.dat.txt, type "<romname>.dat" (with quotes) when saving.

Edited by Xeon