What programs leave behind

The-Ice-Man

Is there a good program for getting rid of the rubbish that a lot of programs leave behind when you uninstall them, like registry keys and files in application data etc? Is there something automated that searches out useless bits of programs that aren't needed anymore so you don't have to try searching the registry or trying to find files in explorer when you don't really know what you're looking for.

I have CCleaner which I use regularly and that gets some of the un-needed registry items, and I always try to find folders relating to the program I've just removed, but that's often not good enough by a long shot. There are very often files in places outside the install folder you specified, which have names that bear no relation to the product you removed, so searching doesn't help. Then there's files that get placed in the system32 folder and other system folders that you really don't want to go poking around in. So is there a good, preferably free or easily cracked program for hunting down and totally removing the leftovers from programs you no longer use?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only program I've seen that is close to this would be PC Tools' Registry Mechanic. It can scan your registry and remove entries from uninstalled applications that it recognizes. Personally, I've found it good for fixing occasional anomalies such as applications hanging on startup, which was commonly caused by a file that was removed being referenced in the registry. Personally though, I've never had much use for registry cleaners. They essentially try to guess what should and shouldn't be there based on their own algorithms, since the majority of entries don't reference a file.

Regarding program clutter in general, there's really no true automated way to get rid of it to the best of my knowledge. You can check common locations for components such as the following:

Registry - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

Registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

Under XP Only:

C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname}\Application Data\

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files\Common Files

C:\Program Files (x86)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

Under Vista\7 Only:

C:\ProgramData

C:\Users\{yourname}\AppData\Local

C:\Users\{yourname}\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\{yourname}\AppData\Roaming

Most well-behaved applications shouldn't stray to far from these locations. The problem with creating an automated method to remove this clutter is that there's no way to directly link these files to the application that created them. The same is true of registry entries that don't reference a particular file as well. The only way an application could actually know what program created what files would be to run on the system using a real-time scanner and to log the behavior of every applications. Honestly, if something like this existed, it would likely be too invasive to bother using.

Luckily though, most of the files applications leave behind are benign. They are usually just your program preferences or stored data within the application.

Edited by VT-Vincent

I don't think there are programs that would do both registry cleaning and directory removal, but I would like to be proven wrong. Most games and applications that install stuff somewhere else that the specified install directory put their stuff in the Documents and Settings/User or All users directories, so it's pretty easy just to go through those and delete unwanted stuff. Then just run a registry cleaner program afterwards.

That's what I often do anyways.

Guess I'll be just sticking with CCleaner then. Reason I asked is coz I realised today that I had that nasty Securom DRM shit on my PC and had to follow this tutorial to fully get rid of it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-98241_25_0.html

I don't know what game it was that installed it, I've never played BioShock, I won't touch games if I know they have DRM, I'm guessing it was a demo of something that didn't mention it was being secretly installed.

Edited by The-Ice-Man

Guess I'll be just sticking with CCleaner then. Reason I asked is coz I realised today that I had that nasty Securom DRM shit on my PC and had to follow this tutorial to fully get rid of it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-98241_25_0.html

I don't know what game it was that installed it, I've never played BioShock, I won't touch games if I know they have DRM, I'm guessing it was a demo of something that didn't mention it was being secretly installed.

I hate to say it, but things like that are actually what curbed me away from gaming on the PC (aside from emulation, of course). It seems like most games out there these days try to install some type of invasive garbage like that. Best case scenario, it seems to just screw the game up. Worst case scenario, it actually causes instability in the operating system. These days I only do gaming on consoles.

I make sure to look at reviews very carefully now for any mention of DRM. I was gonna pick up Dead Space for £5 until I read it had DRM. Just means that people will wait for a cracked version to be released instead of paying for it. I used to just download tonnes of games for the PC, but since games got DVD size I don't do it anymore coz they take so long to download. Now I like to wait till games have been out a little while and are cheap, but not if they have DRM. BioShock could be free and I wouldn't take it. I would like to play BioShock and Dead Space one day, but it'll probably be on the 360 when I get one, unless they rerelease them on PC without DRM. And I don't think it's good enough for companies like Eidos to make DRM software where you're only allowed 5 installs but you get one back if you make a successful uninstall. What if uninstall fails? And you can bet that even after successfull uninstalls the DRM malware is still left behind.

Try installing it four more times and see what happens.