Turning technology into art

Cindy

Does anyone here uses emulations or other software, hardware, or any technological knowledge for artistic purposes?

I'm not aiming at the graphic designers etc, but artists who make installations, sculptures...that kind of things.

I'm really into playing with wireless stuff (ofcourse RFID, bluetooth, Wiiiii sensors etc.) and interactive productions with computers (like 3d scans in a theater, where the visitors will become the actors).

Just wondering if I'm the only geek who likes (and makes) this stuff....

Does anyone here uses emulations or other software, hardware, or any technological knowledge for artistic purposes?

I'm not aiming at the graphic designers etc, but artists who make installations, sculptures...that kind of things.

I'm really into playing with wireless stuff (ofcourse RFID, bluetooth, Wiiiii sensors etc.) and interactive productions with computers (like 3d scans in a theater, where the visitors will become the actors).

Just wondering if I'm the only geek who likes (and makes) this stuff....

We had an entire major devoted to this kind of stuff in my degree. Unfortunately I was never wealthy or resourceful enough to get into it. There are quite a few provocative pieces in the art gallery in Sydney.

Ok. For the small wireless hobby clubs : NetNiet.org and Roomware This last one isn't actually my organisation, but it's a small world and we do the same things. And this is in english :P

For the other things, like the Robodock Festival, STRP festival and (huge!) new media productions I have to do some more research. Sites are mostly in dutch so you probably won't understand a thing...

• 1 month later...

Because my return is all about diggin' up old topics I assume I could post a link here: Impakt - Hybrid Playground. See page 10-13 for an example of the things I make (yeah some of you asked for examples so here you are). Pictures and movies from the installation at the event are coming really REALLY soon.

Now working on some time-lapse video combined with photographing through your mobile phone. Kind of simple but really fun with lovely results.

Does making maps and taking sprites for guides count as art?

The #1 rule about art: If you call it art it IS art.

It's like that time I was stacking used plates up at the Pizza Ranch, and there was like some drumsticks stickin' out of it. I was all, "This means something. This is important." It was some bitchin' art, I'm tellin' ya.