Disk image formats

Ok, so I'm looking into finding out the differences between each type of disk image formats, like ISO, NRG etc... So if someone can point me to a tutorial, that would be grand. Also, I'm especially interested in finding out which disk image formats I should use when making backups of audio CDs and ripping the music from the backup.

OK, here it goes. The best format in the world is... Whatever format suites you. Seriously, there is only one person in the world who will be listening to your music and that is, YOU!

Any form of lossless is the best, but it needs to be mentioned that lossless files are huge by comparison. I prefer flac then ape, ogg is also very good.

Here is a explanation of disk images as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image

Thanks but that wasn't my question. What I asked for, more or less, is links to extensive documentation on the various disk image formats (.iso, .nrg etc.) so I could learn the technicalities, and apply them to, among other things, audio ripping from the best possible image format to get a perfect disk copy of the files. I've already read the wikipedia article and I think I'm still missing some information, because it doesn't extensively explain each and every image format out there.

Good luck on finding that much info. It will take some searching that is for sure.

As far as a exact copy of a say cd or dvd I use either clonecd, clonedvd or alcohol 120. I record and rip as well as mix and produce music all the time. I have many different tools I use to do this. But the ones I mentioned I have used everyday of my life with no bad results.