Weighing options...

Boogalizer

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a PSP or a DS... I'm assuming this forum will be more in favor of a DS, and I was wondering about what option would be best for me as far as homebrew cards/hookups and whatnot.

What I really want out of a gaming system is to be able to load up DS, GBA, and SNES games for free. Other DS addons I've seen seem cool- media players, browsers and so on, but I really just want the capability to load DS, GBA and SNES (and maybe NES stuff too) to the DS. Reading through the tutorials is a little confusing to me- and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to be shorting stuff out with paperclips, but I was hoping someone could give me advice on which setup would be able to handle what I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated- I am leaning towards getting a DS, but I want to make sure there is a setup that will do what I want it to do before I jump in, as I think the PSP homebrew scene is a lot simpler, though it would not be able to handle all of the sweet DS games that I really want to play.

eeeh, it depends? Which do you want more, DS gaming goodness, or nostalgic SNES/NES goodness? If you want to latter more, go with the PSP. Console emulation on the DS is meh and honestly not worth it IMHO.

eeeh, it depends? Which do you want more, DS gaming goodness, or nostalgic SNES/NES goodness? If you want to latter more, go with the PSP. Console emulation on the DS is meh and honestly not worth it IMHO.

Really? Whats wrong with the console emulation? Does anyone else have thoughts on the quality of SNES on DS?

Also, I'm considering getting a refurbished DS for cheaper (100 instead of 130?) I'd imagine there is a higher chance that it will have older firmware- is that an issue at all?

Really? Whats wrong with the console emulation?

simple.

Nintendo DS: 2x 256 x 192 resolution screens

(S)NES: 256 * 240 resolution screen

you do the math...

DS can play DS games.

PSP can emulate SNES, Mega Drive, GBA, CPS-1/-2, NeoGeo, Master System, NES, TurboGrafx and now Sega CD all pretty much perfectly. It also plays PSP and PS1 games.

This should be a no brainer.

get both? ;p

DS can play DS games.

PSP can emulate SNES, Mega Drive, GBA, CPS-1/-2, NeoGeo, Master System, NES, TurboGrafx and now Sega CD all pretty much perfectly. It also plays PSP and PS1 games.

This should be a no brainer.

get both? ;p

i got both :) since this is is the ds forum, i say get a DS