Pop Culture Directors?

Shibathedog

So i'm writing a paper for my EMB class about what i'm calling at the moment pop culture directors simply because I'm not sure what else to call it. What i'm trying to do is write about directors like Spike Lee, Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, John Woo, Oliver Stone, etc. and analyze the trends in the movies they direct. Can anyone maybe suggest something I could search for that would make finding directors like these easier? It's just way too hard to try and pop them off the top of my head, either that or maybe suggest some? Thanks a lot.

Well for directors, I would say Joss Whedon, that guy is still with Pop culture references in all his works.

As for writers however is a different story. A majority of the writers from Gilmore Girls are actually former writers under Joss Whedon and thus produce alot of pop culture references when the show aired.

The producers of The O.C. and Chuck also come to mind also. They reference music, old school japanese animation and comics all the time.

hmm good Idea, I hadn't even been taking TV shows into account. This paper is going to be easier than I thought. The hardest part so far seems to be filtering out directors that made like 1 cult status movie and that was it.

Can't believe I forgot to mention David Lynch!

hmm good Idea, I hadn't even been taking TV shows into account. This paper is going to be easier than I thought. The hardest part so far seems to be filtering out directors that made like 1 cult status movie and that was it.

Can't believe I forgot to mention David Lynch!

Surrelism at it's best, I completely forgot about him myself and I just finished watching Twin Peaks!