ok... I fail at video editing

Reaper man

alright, so I have this camcorder DVD that I have to edit for a friend. it's all one multi-chaper VOB, one for each "scene." She was each scene in a separate file to send to friends.

alright, so the best I could get was using handbrake to encode it to MPEG4. It uses a rather nice deinterlace and denoise filter. anyway, I run a batch to encode one chapter at a time, and well it doesn't do it right. I figure that if I let it encode the entire VOB, it'll be fine. This would be the best case scenario. the problem with that is the fact that I'm just left with one 30 min video file that I would need to chop up myself. So in that case I would need a DECENT video editor that imports MPEG4 files that runs on Windows. Also, my specs are blah. I only have an athlon XP 1800 (ie no SSE2, so nothing from adobe) and around 786MB of RAM.

now, alternatively, I could use something else to do the initial encoding, perhaps AVI to make my life easier. If anyone knows a decent encoder for that, it would be great, but I would like to add deinterlace/denoise as well

so any suggestions?

Edited by Reaper man

Best bet is to grab the TMPEG Enc. encode it too MPG1 then edit it in your prefered program. Simple file splitting can be done with Windows Movie Maker. And I recommend it since nothing from Adobe and quiet possibly Sony Vegas, which supports .mp4 I believe. I don't have *my* computer to check and running on a whim for that.