CPSIII graphics emulation

Hi, I think the CPSIII emualtion is excellent, however the problem I have spotted (and you lot probably have too) is that the blur effect that appears on Elena's stage on SFIII when the character drops down for the 2nd round is always present whenever a character moves on all the games (Red Earth etc).

Is this a fault with the video emulation and will it ever be fixed?

Here is an example of the problem.

Blureffect.jpg

PS - I am using the ElSemi Nebula emulator on the interlaced filter (sharpest looking one)

I am thinking that it is this emulators fault, I've tried Mame but I can only get the CD version to appear in my rom list and then I get some Japanese writing saying something about the disc. I would prefer to use Mame, How do I get the games to load?

Thanks for reading

Edited by hi_resurrection

AFAIK, the interlace filter causes that. This also happens on the Saturn emulator SSF when automatic frameskipping starts to drop frames (since many Saturn games use high resolution interlaced video modes), the interlacing starts to produce visual artifacts such as the one you're seeing.

For MAME, you need the romset as well as the CHD file for the game. As you start it the first time, the CPS-3 hardware rewrites the NVRAM. This takes around 70 minutes on the actual hardware (talk about inefficient data transfer). Depending your computer speed, and whether you use fast forward it naturally takes less time.

AFAIK, the interlace filter causes that. This also happens on the Saturn emulator SSF when automatic frameskipping starts to drop frames (since many Saturn games use high resolution interlaced video modes), the interlacing starts to produce visual artifacts such as the one you're seeing.

For MAME, you need the romset as well as the CHD file for the game. As you start it the first time, the CPS-3 hardware rewrites the NVRAM. This takes around 70 minutes on the actual hardware (talk about inefficient data transfer). Depending your computer speed, and whether you use fast forward it naturally takes less time.

Thanks, you answered both my questions!

I have one more though - I'm using a special version of Mame32 and MamePlus and I can't figure out how to get the graphics super sharp. In the regular Mame32 I just select use Direct3D and put the resolution on 1024 (on HDTV) or 1792 (on my CRT monitor) and this displays the graphics as sharp as you can get. How can I get this effect under these new mame versions?

Thanks again

You might have bilinear filtering enabled which blurs pixels. Disable it and the graphics are sharper. Alternatively, you can enable one of the HQxx filters (they are sharpening filters), but note that they have a tremendous impact on performance.

If bilinear filtering is not the problem then I don't know what's the cause.

There are also no cd version in mame :)

Just in your own build or in the official releases as well?

You might have bilinear filtering enabled which blurs pixels. Disable it and the graphics are sharper. Alternatively, you can enable one of the HQxx filters (they are sharpening filters), but note that they have a tremendous impact on performance.

If bilinear filtering is not the problem then I don't know what's the cause.

Yes, thank you. It was bi-linear filter causing the problem. Now it's as sharp as possible.

Just in your own build or in the official releases as well?

Yes in the offical build ;)