Need URGENT help with making a game work on Chankast.

I DL'd Sonic Adventure 2, and it came in many files. Selfboot files. Using Alcohol 120%, I turned the files into an MDS file, put them on a CD, and when I loaded Chankast, it only recognised the CD as a music CD, and not a game.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to play SA2.

Well, what happens if you simply mount the MDS file in Alcohol's Virtual Drive and boot of that instead from a CD?

P.S. You should really use nullDC over Chankast.

I mounted it with the Alcohol's Virtual Drive, and I get the same result. Is there anything I didn't do right?

Can you tell me ste by step how to take my Selfboot files and make them work in an emulator?

well this is usually how it goes...

You download a game, it comes in any random number of files with extensions .001, .002, etc or something similar

use winRAR to open one of the files, and extract everything somewhere

Take the game and either burn it with alcohol 120% in RAW/DAO mode or mount it in a virtual drive

either play from the disc on a console or in an emulator.

You could try just putting the disc in your dreamcast, if you dont have one try nullDC instead, make sure its set to boot from the right place (Image File/CD Drive/etc)

well you said you got it extracted already so ignore that part

So what you have is an MDS image file and probably some NFO that tells you nothing particularly useful?

If you mount it with a virtual drive, and you are sure your emulator is configured right, and it wont boot, your image file is probably screwed up, Unless SA2 doesnt work right yet. Although if i remember right it did. Try the latest nullDC or at least make sure your Chankast is up to date.

I can't extract it. It gives me the "Unknown Format" message every time I click on .001

You may have a corrupt rom file. Perhaps you should dump the game again?

And although already mentioned, you shouldn't be using Chankast as it's now outdated compared to nullDC.

• 2 weeks later...
I DL'd Sonic Adventure 2, and it came in many files. Selfboot files. Using Alcohol 120%, I turned the files into an MDS file, put them on a CD, and when I loaded Chankast, it only recognised the CD as a music CD, and not a game.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to play SA2.

Make sure that you are NOT running AnyDVD or similar applications. AnyDVD removes the game data and presents the game as an AudioCD (It also does that with images mounted in Daemon Tools.