Magic Engine - how do you change resolution?

Hi,

Simple question: how do you change the render mode/fullscreen resolution in Magic Engine (v1.0.0.0 PR10)?

I know you can't do it through the frontend and need to edit the PCE.ini file but I don't know which bit applies to the fullscreen render mode and what to type to change it.

The default resolution in the emulator is 640x480 which I'm having trouble with and I need to change it to 1024x768 or higher.

Thanks.

Edited by hi_resurrection

Okay, so I got the thing stretched to full screen (on my monitor that won't display 640 resolution) but I have another problem now. Now that it's in fullscreen the speed of the emulation is wrong - it's terribly sluggish and is topping out at '44' and hovering at '40'-'42' on the framerate counter - Bearing in mind that from my computer I get a perfect framerate and zero sound crackling whilst running MAME's NBA Hangtime at 1600x1200 screen resolution (and with vsync, triple buffering and 75% scanlines applied).

I realised that this is when either of Magic Engine's two vsync modes are applied - when I turn it off the framerate locks at '60' - but obviously I get hideous screen tearing...

Why is Magic Engine limiting the Framerate? Is there a way of enabling vsync and getting 60 FPS or is it just a pile of cr@p?

Thanks.

I realised that this is when either of Magic Engine's two vsync modes are applied - when I turn it off the framerate locks at '60' - but obviously I get hideous screen tearing...

Why is Magic Engine limiting the Framerate? Is there a way of enabling vsync and getting 60 FPS or is it just a pile of cr@p?

Thanks.

I have similar issues, except that mine hovers around 45-55. I honestly can't tell you why it behaves like that. Either the VSync routine is broken or the actual console does weird things.

So in conclusion...is 'Hu-Go' any good?!

Not really, no. But that's just my opinion.

About the Turbografx-16 though, what are the must have games for this console, excluding games that have superior arcade ports? I find myself frequently at loss of what to get when I go through the TG-16 game library.

So in conclusion...is 'Hu-Go' any good?!

Not really, no. But that's just my opinion.

About the Turbografx-16 though, what are the must have games for this console, excluding games that have superior arcade ports? I find myself frequently at loss of what to get when I go through the TG-16 game library.

Definitely Taito's 'Parasol Stars', Hudson's 'New Adventure Island' (which is an altered remake of Sega/Westone's 'Wonder Boy' coin-op with all-new graphics and stages), Naxat's 'Alien Crush' and 'Devil Crash' (although there is a version of the latter on the MD, which is better in some areas and worse in others).

'Darius Alpha' is exclusive, as are the 'PC Kid'/'Bonk' games (but I don't know whether they as good as people say - I haven't tried them as of yet), and 'Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu' is quite good.

On a different note; many people say 'Gunhed' but they are talking out of their @rse (it's the easiest shooter of all time). There are plenty of PC Engine specific versions of 'Bomberman' but I think Bomberman games are absolute sh!t - multiplayer or not, 'Batman' and 'Die Hard' if you want to play some crap but exclusive movie tie-ins.

Oh, and 'Dracula X: Rondo of Blood', but I haven't got a clue how to run CD games...

You're right though, almost all of the system's good games are arcade conversions that are obviously superior in MAME.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Yeah, thanks.

Mount the CD image, choose Run CD and the correct drive. With any luck the game should boot. You might need to download System Card files for the CD-ROM emulation to work correctly.