PSP specs

In the PlayStation Meeting 2003, Sony Computer Entertainment revealed details and specifications for its upcoming handheld, the PSP. SCE described the PSP as the "21st-century Walkman," showing confidence in the company's upcoming product, which utilizes a number of high-end components. The PSP will consist of two microprocessors, an advanced sound engine, a 3D graphics engine, a 4.5-inch 16:9-format TFT LCD screen, and a number of connection capabilities.

The PSP will run under two 32-bit MIPS R4000 microprocessors, described by SCE president Ken Kutaragi as each having 10 times the clock speed of the PlayStation’s CPU and the same amount of power as the PlayStation 2's CPU. One of the microprocessors will be used as the CPU, and the other will be utilized as an engine dedicated to handling media such as movies and music with its own 2MB of memory. Although the PSP's main memory will be 8MB, Kutaragi commented that it is an extraordinary volume for a handheld game console. In general, all the components used in the PSP are designed for low energy consumption since it is a portable device, and the microprocessors feature a low-voltage (1.2V) design.

The GPU (graphics processor unit) will work as both a 3D rendering engine and a surface drawing engine. Morphing, tessellation, and other rendering abilities are supported by hardware to reduce the loads on programs. The GPU will come with 2MB of VRAM and a bus with a 5.3gbps transfer rate. In theory, the PSP will be able to handle a maximum of 33 million polygons a second. In terms of sound, the PSP will feature 3D sound and 7.1 channels, adopting the use of a digital signal processor named the VME (Virtual Mobile Engine). The VME is a technology developed by Sony for use in its portable MD and MP3 players, and it allows sounds to be processed with less energy consumption compared with traditional DSPs (digital sound processors). As firmware, the VME can be updated to the latest instruction codes when required. The PSP's VME will also allow playback of MP3-, AAC-, and ATRAC3-format music under SCE's current plans.

The control buttons for the PSP are similar to the PlayStation joypad--there will be circle, cross, triangle, square, R1, L1, start, and select buttons, as well as a directional pad and an analog stick. As revealed in prior announcements, the PSP will read proprietary 60mm wide optical disks named UMDs (universal media discs) that can hold up to 1.8GB. The PSP will support advanced-video-coding-format MPEG4s that have high compression rates, and one UMD can contain up to two hours of DVD-quality video. There will be an advanced encryption technology used on the PSP for the copy protection of software as well. In terms of communication, the PSP will come equipped with 802.11-standard LAN, IrDA, and USB 2.0. 802.11-standard LAN is a wireless LAN specification that can communicate in a 100-meter range with a transfer rate of up to 2mbps, and IrDA is a standard for infrared wireless communication.

To promote early development of games, SCE plans to distribute development kits for the PC that will emulate the PSP at about a 10th of its actual speed. A more complete hardware-based developer kit will be released in spring 2004. SCE aims to make programming software for the PSP as easy to develop as the original PlayStation, and provide programmers with a number of libraries and middleware to support development.

The prototype of the PSP and several game titles are scheduled to be revealed at E3 2004, followed by a display of games at the Tokyo Game Show 2004 and the release of the handheld in the last fiscal quarter of 2004. No price was revealed for the PSP in today's announcements.

PSP Specifications:

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core

128-bit bus

333MHz

8MB eDRAM main memory

2.6Gbps bus transfer rate

FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)

3D graphics extended instructions

1.2V

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core 128-bit bus

2MB eDRAM submemory

90nm CMOS manufacturing process

1.2V

PSP Graphics Core

2MB VRAM

5.3Gbps bus transfer rate

3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine

Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)

Reconfigurable DSP engine

166MHz

128-bit bus

5 billion operations per second

CODEC capabilities

3D sound, 7.1 channels

Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities

ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

1.2V

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)

60mm-diameter disc

660nm laser diode

1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)

11Mbps transfer rate

AES crypto system

Unique disc ID

Shock proof

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)

MPEG4 AVC decoder

Wireless LAN (802.11)

IrDA (Infrared Data Association)

USB 2.0

Memory Stick

AV in/out

Lithium ion battery

News stol........borrowed from Gamespot

A lot of it is more than likely Sony *hype* but it does sound like it could be a sweet little machine.

sounds nice, but, it also sounds expensive. i probably wont be getting it though, for i have little use for handhelds nowadays.

sounds nice, but, it also sounds expensive. i probably wont be getting it though, for i have little use for handhelds nowadays.

I still think moving parts in a portable is the worst thing about it. And if you have little use for handhelds you need to get a GBA player for your Gamecube if you haven't already got on. They rock! :roll:

hellz yah! the gba player does rock. :lol: i'll be getting that soon, but first comes my snk mvs cab. :roll:

it just sounds to me like handhelds are becoming more and more like consoles, and consoles are becoming more like handhelds. pretty soon, they will both be one in the same. even though they are kinda big and difficult to carry, most of todays consoles are able to be made portable. sure its been done before with their earlier consoles, but with nintendos release of the gba player for the gamecube, it basically makes a handheld a console. in addition, this sony handheld kinda sounds like a portable console to me. back to nintendo, there are talks that when they release the gcn2 and gba2, they might very well get bundled together. the games may even be released on the same discs for both systems. this would mean that the gba will be becoming a disc based system, rather that a cart based one. this is just the first part of the process. we may not see both handhelds and consoles become one until the time of the gcn4, or ps5, but its coming.

You are probably right just because of the Japanese obession of making everything Tiny.

Then again look at the Xbox. If you tried to carry that around as a portable you would probably die :roll:

I think that consoles are probably heading more towards being general home entertainment units. You know, TV, Media recording, Karaoke, photo editing, music center blah blah. The only HW company that still seems to be all about the games is Nintendo.

yah, i was actually thinking of the xbox when saying that some are difficult to carry around. :lol:

you have a point about consoles maybe becoming more like home entertainment systems with numerous different features. besides the cube, that is actually true about them now. i suppose though, that they can go either way. i am certain though, that nintendo is trying to merge the two, making the handheld and console one unit. they are starting by making different features available only when you use the two together. unfortunetly, they are recieving alot of heat for this. but, nintendo has always been the one to do something different and to never to follow the majority. anyways, i just hope it works out for them, because i think you need an alternative to everything else thats out there. :roll:

we'll see what happens. :x i just hope every console, or company for that matter, focuses on something different, and just dont copy each other. nintendo is doing their own thing, which is good. :? hopefully sony and microsoft will start doing the same. not to say that they arent... i just dont pay much attention to the two, so i dont really know. :)