[2/23/2007] WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2007

Game: WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2007

System: PSP

Emulators: None

932466_74438.jpg

THQ's Smackdown series have always been the norm where we will get an annual update on

the wrestling game on PS1 and PS2. PSP get a taste of wrestling when the PSP version of

SVR 2006 was released on Dec 2005. The game deliver a solid wrestling game on a handheld,

never before seen with everything from the console version ported to the PSP version. However,

a lot of people were put off by the long loading time (holding the record for the longest loading time

on a PSP) and bypass the game. Another years goes by and the latest version arrived on Nov 2006.

So, how does this fare compare to the 2006 version? Read on.

Graphics:

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2007-200612-1.jpg

First of all, for those that own the 2006 version, you will notice somthing on the graphics......THERE IS NO

DIFFERENCE AT ALL in the 2007 version. You still get the same highly detailed wrestlers, the slightly jagged

environment, the cardbox audiences that you get in 2006 version. I was slightly disappointed with the

non-improvement in this department after seeing the gorgeous X360's screenshots. I was hoping that some

improvement will be made so that it will be more gorgeous. However, this doesn't mean that the graphics

is not good in the 2007 version. But it seems to me that THQ decided not to put much efforts in the graphic

department since they are not facing competitions at all on the handhelds. Hopefully the next version will

feature a better improvement, if any.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2007-200612-4.jpg

Graphics: 7/10 (laziness on THQ for not improving even slightly)

Controls:

There was some improvements on the controls on the console version which I am not aware of.

But from what I know, the control is different on the PSP due to lack of 2nd analog stick. Aside from

the usual run, punch, grapple and action button, there is a new gapple control which is called the

Ultimate Grapple system. This is initiated by pressing the R Shoulder button + Circle + Directional Pad.

Each directions give you a different kind of grapple. Once grabbed, you can press Circle again to

move into the actual Grapple system. THere, you will given a choice to execute moves using the analog

stick, YES, the analog stick on the PSP. Following the movement of analog stick needed to execute

the wrestling move, you will push the analog stick as indicated. In actual, this is EASIER to execute than

it sounds. let me give an example. Using Undertaker, you initiate an Ultimate Grapple move with

R+Up+Circle. pressing a Circle again will have Undertaker getting ready to perform a chokeslam.

Two options appears. You can either press Circle again for another wrestling move or you can move

your analog stick up to lift your opponent. if you lift your opponent up, you have the option to either

chokeslam the opponent to the mat by pushing the analog stick down OR you move Undertaker to the

rope AND chokeslam the opponent to the floor outside the ring! yes, the new grapple system can be

interactive to the surrounding and the wrestling moves might change, depending on where you are.

Although it seems tedious to execute, a little practise will ensure that you can perform all wrestling moves

smoothly. Best ever on any Smackdown series.

Controls: 9/10 (great innovation on the controls, IMO)

Sound:

The sound department again is top notch. Despite some dubious selection of BGM music, the BGM

still sound better than the 2006 version. Again, all voiceovers from the actual wrestlers are in, their

entrance musics, the crowd effects all intact. In fact, kudos to the team for improving on the entrance

music as no longer we have a loopy entrance music (which happens to a lot of entrance music on 2006

version)

Sound: 9.5/10

Presentation:

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2007-200612-5.jpg

This is a department that I simply have to add in for this review. A wrestling game won't feel like a

wrestling game if it didn't play like watching wrestling on TV. I am happy to say that THQ get that feel

right down to the pat this round. Entrances of each wrestlers were done perfectly. During the cutscenes

in story mode, it is just like you are watching a wrestling program on TV, with the commentaries and the

camera shaking while chasing after wrestlers. Every details were captured brilliantly. Wrestling fans will

be very happy. I love the entrance to Mr. KENNNNNEEEEEEEEDYYYYY.....................KENNNNNEEEEEDDDYYY

the most as it really capture that particular bastard's cockiness well :punk:

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2007-200612-6.jpg

Presentation: 10/10

Gameplay:

Other than the new grapple system, the rest of the gameplay did not change much. We still have the stamina

bar to contend with, ability to store and use the Special move. The new grapple system did add some spices

to the game with the ability to interact with the surroundings. Also, a new addition is the hotspots for some

special moves. If you drag your opponents to a certain parts of the ring or outside the ring, a kind of mini

games will be started with instructions on how to push the analog. Example, you can drag your opponent

to the turnbuckle, then a minigame will start where you push the opponent to the turnbuckle and climb up

on him. THere you have the option to raise your hands and punch him 10 times just like the actual situation

on a wrestling match, and the opponent can counter you also by pushing you down. Or if you are a heel, you

can expose the turnbuckle, the drag your opponent to the turnbuckle and proceed to hammer the brain

out from your opponent there :D A great addition although the novelty will wear off once you have tried

every hotspots available.

AI is still the same as ever, and once you have mastered the game, the Hardest setting will be quite easy

for you (it will still give you a challenge). Season mode was improved with a more extensive storyline,

a better way of telling the story and also improvement on the locker room where you will receive text

messages on your cell phones (in game cellphones, not your real world cell phones, dummy) from

wrestlers commenting or initiating the stories. More choices could be made in the storyline and there are

more branches to play with.

As usual, all the modes from Elimination Chamber to Last man standing matches are still in. A new addition

is the Money In the Bank match, popularised by RVD in the last two Wrestlemania. With the addition,

the match and Ladder match were also improved where it is more difficult to bring down the prize hanging

on top. A Money In The Bank match can really be as exciting and exhasuting as the real one. Another addition

is the Road to Wrestlemania mode where you are thrown into series of matches leading up to Wrestlemania

with no choice of wrestlers at all. IMO, I rather have the mini-games. I did not find the new mode interesting

at all. The GM Mode which was introduced last version made a comeback and was improved on. Now,

you can hire writers to create certain storylines for your wrestlers to wrestle in. However, i still find the GM

mode a bore and didn't find enough motivation to finish it .

Loading times has been improved a lot. We no longer have to wait for one minute to play a match, but

instead, only 40 - 45 minutes is needed. HOWEVER, i found that the loading can be more annoying compared

to 2006 version. In this version, I found that the loading happens too frequently. Going from one menu to

another menu might even initiate a loading just because the game want to load a different BGM. THis can

be really irritating especially when you navigating between menus. A problem not found on the 2006 version.

Gameplay : 8/10

Graphics: 7/10

Controls: 9/10

Sound: 9.5/10

Presentation: 10/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.7/10

Tilted : Minus 0.5

Actual score : 8.2/10

Summary:

A lot of people might be wondering why I give a lower score after giving a score of 8.7. Despite the new

addition of modes and controls and whatnots, I still have the feeling of playing a rehashed game. Granted,

there are some improvements made but I still feel like I can just get the 2006 version and play it.

I love this game, however i still feel like I am only getting a game with an updated roster of wrestlers

and some tweaks here and there. Hopefully, we can have a revamp next version to justify purchasing

another Smackdown game. Those who have not play the Smackdown series on PSP, maybe you can

still hunt down an old copy of the 2006 version at bargain price. Die hard fans will probably buy it just

to get an updated roster anyway :)