Noob Needs a Little Help Buying a Flash Card/Cart

BIGtrouble77

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've recently come into some funds and I'd like to get myself a flash card.

What I absolutely need are:

DS backup ability (I would hate to have to switch back and forth between my actual carts and a flash)

Save ability (proper saving, without patching of NDS games (and extraction of the save area of games I own).

GBA compatibility (good gba homebrew scene :))

Expandable memory -- SD cards or something that I can swap in/out read/write

Affordable (I don't want to spend more than $50USD on just the cart, and don't want a SD card included [at a premium])

I suppose that I can get a single-slot solution for NDS and another card for GBA later.

Now that these single-slot solutions are more readily available, what cards are the best (according to my reqs)?

TIA!

*edit*

Thinking about this one:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/dd-ds-simply

What I absolutely need are:

DS backup ability (I would hate to have to switch back and forth between my actual carts and a flash)

When you say backup "ability" do you mean the ability to play NDS ROMs or to dump your actual game carts? :) If you mean the ability to play NDS ROMs, just about every flashcard out there can do that, but some require more equipment than others (Slot-2 flashcard require a pass device to play NDS homebrew). If you want to be able to dump your own game carts, then you'd need a custom firmware called FW Nitro.

Save ability (proper saving, without patching of NDS games (and extraction of the save area of games I own).

The M3 Perfect (slot-2) can save your games without a patch (unless you want real time saving) and the software includes a tool to import/export saves from your ROMs. Slot-1 cards never require patching at all, and no software either, so I'm not sure if you could import/export saves. As for getting the saves off of your own games, you'll need an app called Rein.

GBA compatibility (good gba homebrew scene :()

If you want GBA compatibility, you'll need a slot-2 device (and a pass device, for playing NDS stuff).

Expandable memory -- SD cards or something that I can swap in/out read/write

Just about every slot-1 and -2 device there is requires a memory card. The most commonly used are CF, SD, miniSD and microSD. Depending on which flashcard you choose you'll know which you need. There are a few cards that do not require a memory card, such as the DS-X, but they do not have very much built in storage.

Affordable (I don't want to spend more than $50USD on just the cart, and don't want a SD card included [at a premium])

For less than $50, your options would probably be a SuperCard or a CycloDS. The M3 is well over $50. If you want slot-1, the R4DS usually goes for around $45

I suppose that I can get a single-slot solution for NDS and another card for GBA later.

Now that these single-slot solutions are more readily available, what cards are the best (according to my reqs)?

Again, a slot-1 flashcard will not work with GBA stuff, so unless you don't really need that, I'd say go with slot-2. That said, the best slot-1 card out there is probably the R4DS (the M3 Simply is an exact clone of this).

I'll have a buyer's guide to NDS flashcards up soon, so you may want to take a look at that as well. :)

Quotes are broken for me, apparently ^^

When you say backup "ability" do you mean the ability to play NDS ROMs or to dump your actual game carts? :) If you mean the ability to play NDS ROMs, just about every flashcard out there can do that, but some require more equipment than others (Slot-2 flashcard require a pass device to play NDS homebrew). If you want to be able to dump your own game carts, then you'd need a custom firmware called FW Nitro.

I know all flashcarts (for ds) have ds rom ability, I mean making backups of my legit carts. I honestly can live without this as I'm sure these roms are available somewhere.

The M3 Perfect (slot-2) can save your games without a patch (unless you want real time saving) and the software includes a tool to import/export saves from your ROMs. Slot-1 cards never require patching at all, and no software either, so I'm not sure if you could import/export saves. As for getting the saves off of your own games, you'll need an app called Rein.

I would really like a slot-1 device, and later a slot-2 one, thanks for that Rein link, I'll save that for sure.

If you want GBA compatibility, you'll need a slot-2 device (and a pass device, for playing NDS stuff).

I think I'll get a slot-2 later one :S

Expandable memory -- SD cards or something that I can swap in/out read/write.

Just about every slot-1 and -2 device there is requires a memory card. The most commonly used are CF, SD, miniSD and microSD. Depending on which flashcard you choose you'll know which you need. There are a few cards that do not require a memory card, such as the DS-X, but they do not have very much built in storage.

I think mini/microSD are the ones I'd rather use.

For less than $50, your options would probably be a SuperCard or a CycloDS. The M3 is well over $50. If you want slot-1, the R4DS usually goes for around $45

I really like the looks of the M3 Simply / R4DS, I think I may go with one of those (and get a slot 2 dev. later). They are both $44.99 on Divineo.

Again, a slot-1 flashcard will not work with GBA stuff, so unless you don't really need that, I'd say go with slot-2. That said, the best slot-1 card out there is probably the R4DS (the M3 Simply is an exact clone of this).

Are there any differences at all? Better company/support maybe for one?

I'll have a buyer's guide to NDS flashcards up soon, so you may want to take a look at that as well. :)

That'd be cool!

Fixed quote problem - R

Edited by Robert