DVD Booktype Setting

Its probably best to set every type of disc possible to DVD-ROM right? As much as im into optical media ive never had the time to read up too much on exactly the point of Booktypes. It just identifies what type of disc right? So whats the big deal with setting it, shouldn't it not matter? Unless some security on the disc will only let things run off a DVD-ROM?

The only reason you would need to set the booktype (to DVD-ROM obviously) is to make the disc compatible with other devices such as DVD Players and the PS2. This can also be useful for DVD-ROM drives that can't read DVD+R/RWs. I actually have a DVD Player that can't read burned DVDs unless they are booktyped to DVD-ROM so being able to set the booktype is very useful for me.

but if im using DVD-Rs (instead of +Rs) the booktype is always DVD-ROM right?

and by cant read you mean it thinks its like an invalid disc or something right? Doing this wouldnt fix skipping or frequent read errors right? (One of my DVD players refuses to do anything with DVD+Rs but i just left the booktype on whatever the default was, like i put a movie in and it skips all over the place, and my PS2 hates Taiyo Yudens and plays Memorex, which the ones i have now are actually RITEKT1s i think, which suck i guess, even though Ritek is supposed to be 2nd best)