A few questions about the PSP

Nanook128

I recently got interested in my brother’s PSP when I heard a rumor that you can play old games on it. I am fairly new to the world of emulating that doesn’t take place on a PC, so I wanted to ask a few things about it so I don’t muck up his psp. What is bricked/bricking? I heard it in relevance to the new 360 update and how it messes up people with modified xbox’s. Also what do I need to emulate snes games on a psp. I know he has version 2.6, and I read some things about having to downgrade or something.

AFAIK, bricking means that your PSP ends in such a state that nothing can be done with it anymore -- in other words it's as useful as a brick/paperweight.

I'm sure our resident PSP heads can help you with your other questions

I'm sure our resident PSP heads can help you with your other questions

That we can, Agozer, that we can. <_<

Well, with fw 2.60, you have three basic options: Upgrade, downgrade, or keep 2.60.

Upgrade

-Upgrade to the official fw 2.71 from Sony and use Devhook to emulate the 1.50 firmware, then you can use emulators. Compatibility: Good, but slightly less than normal. Risk of bricking: Almost no risk at all.

-Upgrade to 2.71, then install Dark_AleX's 2.71 SE-B custom firmware, then download emulators for that. Compatibility: Low, but with the help of an EBOOT fixer, it goes way up. Risk of bricking: Small, but it's there.

Downgrade

-Download a downgrader, then downgrade to 1.50. Compatibility: Perfect. Risk of bricking: Not so small, but not very large; probably about 1/4.

Keep 2.60

-Download the libTIFF exploit version of eLoader and use that to run emulators. Compatibility: Low. Risk of bricking: Pretty much 0, as this method does not modify your system at all.

Now, there's alot more I could say, but these are just outlines of a few of your options.

Or you could do like me, upgrade to 2.71 then downgrade back to 1.50 then use the latest devhook to emulate the firmwares for your game. It offers the best compatibility and also the risk of bricking is 0 if you do everything right. I wouldn't rush into it tho. Also make sure your PSP is not of TA-082 hardware. If it is, you cannot downgrade, sorry. You can check if it is by reading what it says on the right side of the inside of your UMD drive.

edit: here's a picture http://www.modchipstore.com/support/images/ta82spot.jpg