SP2 and TCP/IP connection limitation

Agozer

I just upgraded to Service Pack 2 a few days ago because Microsoft is dropping the support for SP1. I don't have any problems with SP2, but I've been reading about TCP/IP limiting the number of open connections to 10 or somesuch. Now, what exactly does this do? I also read that there is a fix for this issue somewhere.

Like I said, I haven't had too many problems with BitTorrent or connections in genetal, although web-browsing seems a little slow at times. So, has someone else used this "fix" to fix whatever limitations SP2 brough about and by doing that, did the fix improve downloads/uploads at al?

Also, does someone have any links to this fix?

Well, if all your upload speed is in use by say a BT client, web browsing will be slow regardless.....as your communication with the web server for GET and other requests are slowed.

Anyway, the limitation is best to fix when you're a P2P user, as it's not the actual "connections" that are limited, but concurrent half open connections. That being connections in progress etc. If more than 10, others will be ignored.

I have the fix here.

Just make sure after changing, you hit Cancel on the Windows File Protection thing that pops up, or Windows will replace it.

EvID4226Patch223d_en.zip

Well, my BitDefender virus scanner promptly stopped me after I opened the folder where I extracted the contents and explained that the exe files is infected with Backdoor/Virkel.A

I don't know if this is a false positive or an actual trojan. Comments?

EDIT: I found out that the latest BitComet client can also patch TCPIP.SYS to allow more half open connections. Thanks anyway.